Jenmandaash
Jenmandaash asks:
Q:

How do I get my 16 yr old daughter to answer her cell when I call instead of telling me it wasn't on her?

In Topics: Children and cell phones

|
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with this issue with your teen. There are a few different approaches you might take to resolve this issue.

First, you could try blocking your caller ID when you call your daughter, so that she doesn't know it is you calling. Your phone company can give you the code or service information to access that feature. However, this doesn't guarantee that your daughter will answer the phone, and you obviously can't overuse this feature (or else she might never answer the phone when it says "private" or "unlisted" number for incoming calls).  

Depending on the phone your child has, you may be able to leverage GPS cell phone tracking software to see the real-time location for your child's cell phone. Here's one example (and the phones they support): http://www.accutracking.com/
This information could be helpful for safety reasons, as well as to determine if your teen has the cell phone with her at the location she has provided for her whereabouts.

You might also establish a rule with her that if she doesn't answer your calls, or return them within a certain timeframe, then she will lose access to her cell phone for a set period of time (a day? a week? Set a reasonable time based on the severity of the behavior, and/or the number of times she's ignored your calls). You would obviously need to be flexible if there was no service in the area she and the phone were located (such as in the woods or at the beach, or anywhere her mobile service provider's network doesn't reach). Contact the mobile service provider for their network coverage and/or any related outages on the day you are trying to reach your daughter.

I'm also including below some additional resources you may find helpful to your situation. Good luck!

1
0
bob , Parent writes:
We have an arrangement with our kids (we have four all with cell phones): you go out, you take you phone, you keep it with you, and you answer it when it rings, especially if the call is from home.  "Didn't have it on me" can't come up because it's not part of the deal.

I have found that SMS (text messaging), too.  Lots of kids use text messaging regularly, and if your child is one of them, then, she'll be responding to or at least reading messages pronto. No way she can miss your message.  Of course, using text messaging yourself means that YOU have to use a cell phone.  If you don't have one, most cell phone providers have a way of e-mailing to the text function on cell phones.  Read the "Carrier-Provided E-Mail or Web to SMS Gateways" section of the Wikipedia article listed below.  So, for example, if your daughter's cell phone is on Verizon and her cell phone number is 650-555-1212 then you can e-mail to 6505551212@vtext.com and the message will be delivered to her phone.  160 characters max, and text charges may apply as always.

1
0
MimiR
MimiR writes:
She loses the cell phone for a month.  If she can't use it for answering your calls, she shouldn't be using it to answer her friends.

She'd also be grounded for the same amount of time.  That's nonsense.

0
0