worriedMUM
worriedMUM asks:
Q:

17 month old doesn't talk much. Should I be worried by this?

Hi everyone,
my 17m.old boy is not talking much. He knows to say a few words(like dogs name,bye,hi and give), my child care nurse thinks that he should know to say about 6-20 clear words by now. Apart form that he is pretty good with social skills(enjoys playing with other kids,like to share toys and food),know to ride a bike,to get on and off the couch/ furniture, he is also very loving and gives us a lot of cuddles. We are using two languages at home and im not sure can this be a problem?
He is just starting to be interested in books and videos for kids.
He is also in family day care four days a week and lady that looks after him doesn't think he has any developmental problems.
My CC nurse thinks that speech therapy might help. When did your child start to talk? and should i be worried by this?
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Speech and language issues

|

We set off the worry flags for boys at about two years old.  Remember, if he has language (understands you and follows instructions) he will have speech.  In bilingual homes, it will take longer.  If he can swallow and chew well and no longer uses a pacifier or  bottle, it should progress.  Your sitter is correct that most will verbalize to 20 words, but each child is different. Speak to your pediatrician and ask her what she thinks at his 18month visit.

1
1