Anonymous
Q:

Can a 17 year old legally drop-out of high school without parent consent?

I'm a 17 year old female, I live in Oregon, and i was wondering if it was possible to legally drop-out of high school? I've had to miss a LOT of school due to having back problems and I can't keep up on school at all.
In Topics: School and Academics, Teen issues

|

Houli

Each state sets the minimum age for a student to drop out of school. Most states have a minimum age of 16, while others have ages that include 17 or 18. To learn the legal age in your state, call the Department of Education and ask to speak to someone who can answer this question.

As a former high school principal, I would strongly encourage you not to drop out, even if you've missed a lot of days. Dropping out will severely limit your ability to get a good paying job in the future. Please see your school's guidance counselor to explore what possible options you might have to stay in school and pass your courses.

2
0