stfuitzshawna
stfuitzshawna asks:
Q:

I am a 17 year old student at high school and I'm found to be quite pretty. But I'm  overweight and that's my biggest thing in school.

I am overweight :( But found to be pretty and I just think that people say I am pretty to make me feel better.
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Teen issues, Bullying and teasing

|

Being 17 yrs. old can be very stressful especially when it seems like the amount of friends you have and the way you look are the most important things.  It's a great compliment that people believe that you are pretty.  You should believe it too!!  Everyone has certain characteristics that make them beautiful.  However, you know as well as anyone that inner beauty is just as important as outer beauty!  Friends that love you no matter what you look like are true friends.  

If you think you are overweight try talking to your doctor about safe and effective ways to lose some weight and live healthier.  Simply walking for a few miles each day is very good for your body and can easily help you get more in shape.  Remember, don't try to start a weight loss plan before contacting your doctor first.  

I know peer pressure to look good and fit in is very strong in high school.  Remember that each of us has gifts and talents that make us beautiful in many different ways.  If your life begins to focus too much on your physical beauty, you will lose sight of having fun and enjoying the people around you that like you for exactly who you are.  If you feel like your self-esteem is suffering right now stop in and talk to the school counselor for a few minutes about your feelings.  It helps to get things off your chest!

Take Care
1-800-448-3000

4
0

Anonymous