gae27 asks:

Can a 17 year old withdraw and enroll in school without parental consent?

Can a 17 year old withdraw from one school and enroll in another without a parent.
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Teen issues, State education standards
> 60 days ago



Boys Town National Hotline
Jul 14, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Of course, the laws may vary from state to state, but generally speaking, no a child may not enroll in a public school without the consent and knowledge of the parent.  

Please contact your local school district for more information.  If you need assistance to find contact information for your local district administration don't hesitate to contact any school within the district boundaries.  All school offices will have a list of district administrator names and telephone numbers and can assist you in determining who you might call to answer your questions.  

If you are struggling to help your child to accept your authority with regard to issues within your home, at school or at play, please don't hesitate to contact the Boys Town National Hotline for parenting support and encouragement.

Trained counselors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-448-3000.


Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely