Anonymous
Q:

My 17year old son is having difficulties learning.  He attends a H.S. that is just awful what can I do to help him?  I've had problems with his educat

I've had to deal with uncaring teachers unruly children .and a child who just doesn't seem to care any more.  The teachers lie and there is no communication. they are truly clueless. I scared that he will get left down next year or graduate without a proper education. Help!
In Topics: School and Academics, My Relationship with my child's school, Teen issues

|

Houli

You sound very concerned and if I were in your shoes, I would immediately make an appointment with a guidance counselor or school administrator and share your concerns with one or more of these people. So many high school students really struggle because of learning difficulties so a parent MUST step forward and be the child's advocate.

Don't take "no' for an answer. If you still are not satisfied then go to the superintendent's office.

However, you need to be professional about this- calling people names and criticizing the school, etc., will likely put people on the defensive. In short, try to work things out as well as possible.

0
0

Sylvia HS
Sylvia HS , Child Professional, Teacher writes:
Dear Anonymous,

Here are several things you could think about:

1.  You mention that your son has difficulties learning.  Has he ever been assessed by a reading specialist and a psychologist to pinpoint his learning difficulties, and to make recommendations for his best learning program?  It is critical for you to have current information on his learning needs in high school.

2.  Does the high school have course options for students who have difficulties learning?  In the school system where I work, there are many different kinds of courses for students with different achievement levels.  There are many ways to graduate, not just one set of courses.

3.  Does your school district have school classroom options for students who have difficulties learning?  Do they have smaller classes for students with difficulties?  These difficulties could be academic, behavioral, medical, cognitive, or any other combination.  Your son may be eligible for one of these.

4.  Does your school district have district classroom options for students who have difficulties learning?  The system where I work has many different kinds of school experiences for students.  For example, store front schools where students aren't in a regular classroom but get teacher and course support throughout the school day.  For example, on-line courses with teacher support.  Does your district have teachers who are available to come to your home to tutor your son?  There are many kinds of options for students who have difficulties learning.

5.  Have you contacted the Learning Disability Association where you live?  They are very helpful in advising parents about how to help their children.  

6.  Does your district have different kinds of high schools?  For instance, my district has high schools that focus on academic challenge, vocational, low cognitive, behavior, medical, technology, and up-grading students.  

Perhaps you could discuss some, or all, of these options with school personnel with the goal of giving your son the best possible high school experience, so that he can graduate successfully.

Sylvia HS
Reading Specialist
Author

1
0
Anonymous