Abysmama
Abysmama asks:
Q:

Is my 18 month old daughter autistic?

*I posted this somewhere else on this site but wanted to post it here too! Sorry if this double posts!*

My daughter is almost 18 mo old and we have wondered for a long time whether or not she might be autistic. The main signs that we see every day are: screaming constantly instead of talking or trying to say words, throwing herself on the floor and banging her head against the floor, wall or door (whatever shes near) when things dont go her way, she only says about 4 words (mama, "ni-ni" for night night, baby and daddy, although, we dont think she really knows what daddy means), she didnt start walking until she was about 14-15mo old, she is never happy, shes extremely clingy, hits and scratches out of frustration and so on. The doctor said that she does have some symptoms but also that she does things that some/most autistic kids dont do. I dont know what to think but Im very worried. My oldest has ADHD and my son has MANY health issues, this is the last thing that I need right now. Does anyone have any advice or anything for me? Thanks!
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Many of the people who responded have addressed the needs of your child. I read your post and quite frankly I am equally if not more worried about you.  

You have so much to handle and I think it might be in your best interest to reach out for support.  There are many organizations that can help you through parent support networks.  Also, if you are so inclined try talking to your religious leader, a counselor or a psychologist in your area. I only make these recommendations to help you during these difficult times.  

Start with your home school district and ask if they sponsor parent groups/ support networks.  Also, ask if they have parenting classes that can help with strategies to assist you and your children.  All parents need help from time to time.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.  

Here are some useful links and why I think they may be helpful.

www.eparent.com    This is a website with national information for parents with exceptional children.  Their links are for parents with children who have ADHD, health issues, autism and more.  They can be a good start.

www.CHAAD.org   This organization supports children and adults with ADD or ADHD and those who live with them (and of course, love them).  They have numerous groups throughout the United States and hold meetings to help parents.  

www.Autismspeaks.org   This website offers a plethora of information and support for parents and those living with autism.

www.kylestreehouse.org   This website was started by a parent of a child with autism and has many resources included.  She also includes a parent forum and has a page on Facebook for parents to share information.  

Good luck and I wish you the best during these difficult days.  Stay strong.  I commend all of your efforts.

Louise S.

0
0