Anonymous
Q:

Could my 18 month old daughter be autistic?

My 18 month old daughter has always made eye contact as an infant. She loved to be held and cuddled. She had a delay in her crawling and walking. She didn't start crawling on all fours until 12 months. Before that she would do an army crawl at 9 months. She just started walking 1 week ago. She said her first word at 8 months (mama). She used to smile when her older brother walked into the room she was in, but now not so much. She is a very calm child, never any tantrums or anything like that. She did however cry a lot as an infant, but not any more. Now, she still does make eye contact, but only when she wants to. She does respond to her name, but not often. I think she understands the word no, but most of the time she goes back to doing what she was doing. She doesn't point things out to us yet, and if we point things out to her she rarely does look. She only has a few words, mama, dada, and baba. She used to babble, but that has decreased. She now just screams when something or someone is bothering her. She also screams if she wants something. She never points at things that she wants. I am just scared that it might be autism. She still loves to be held, touched, cuddled. She loves to play with other children as long as they make the first contact. But, after a few minutes she plays alone. She saw her doctor last week and he said he thinks its not autism but that it might be just a social/language delay.  He still wants her to get evaulated. She is very alert though!
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Dr.Susan

I can certainly understand your worry. But before you let it get the better of you, the most important step you must take is to have an Early Intervention evaluation.

Your daughter should be evaluated for speech and language delays as well as social delays. It is entirely possible that her behavior is related to frustration at not being able to communicate due to a language delay. You should also have her hearing fully evaluated. Most kids are diagnosted with autism between two and three years old, so although it is possible that she is autistic, it is important not to panic, and to rule in an out everything else first. The sooner you start the evaluation, the sooner you can get intervention for her if necessary. By the way, walking at 18 months is still considered within the normal range (up to 18 months).

Good Wishes and Great Parenting,
Dr Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book “The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask”

1
0

pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi…

I used to work with a boy who has mild autism one on one for a couple years.  I was also a behavior therapist where I worked with a handful of autistic kids twice a week. As I was reading the descriptions of your daughter, I was looking for some concrete “clues” to suggest that your daughter may be autistic but I was not able to find any.  You’ve mentioned many times that your daughter has very minimal eye contact.  Actually, many autistic kids have great eye contacts – it’s just that their eye contacts are very empty.  You know the phrase, “your eyes are the window to your soul” – this phrase does not apply to autistic children.  Autistic children have such emptiness in their eyes that you can’t tell anything about their emotions.  Often times, when you look at someone’s eyes, you know if they’re sad or happy, these emotions are not expressed in autistic children’s eyes.
 I am please to read that your daughter “still loves to be held, touched, cuddled. She loves to play with other children as long as they make the first contact.”,  These are qualities that autistic children don’t have.  In general, autistic children are very sensitive to touch. A gentle touch is translated in their brain as a hard hit and thus they don’t like to be touched because it’s painful. It’s great to hear that your daughter still loves to touched and cuddled and that she loves to play with other children.  Most autistic children don’t know that other people exist around them.  They are very much into their own world that they perceive another person no differently than an inanimate object.

I agree with your doctor that your daughter’s problem may be a delay in social and language development.  Continue to observe your daughter and seek help as soon as possible as early interventions are most effective and beneficial to children.  Good luck!

Vicki

1
0
Autismresearch
Autismresea... writes:
Autism Research Idea Award
Robert M Aaron.        RobertMAaron@gmail.com
Research Idea/ Statement of the Issue:
           I propose to make a substantial immediate impact to improve the lives of individuals living with  the many forms of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). My research idea will address some of the central problems of ASD, one of which is the enormous financial stress and emotional burden these disorders place on families, society, the health care system and the national debt. My hypothesis is that an underlying contributor to ASD is a geo-physiological disconnection--a disconnect between the earth and the physical body.  My research idea will use two  inexpensive high-impact patented innovations.  The first is a device that gives  the benefits of reconnecting to the restorative energy of the earth. The second device provides the benefits of mimicking fundamental Schumann Resonance frequencies, the atmospheric energy frequencies that have important implications on setting biological rhythms of organisms. By combining these two innovative technologies during sleep, ASD sufferers should see improvements in their emotions, sleep patterns, cortisol rhythms, motor and sensory deficits, immune dysfunction, metabolic dysfunction, inflammation and seizures. The reasoning on which I propose that these devices should be jointly researched and simultaneously employed  is a central part of my hypothesis. I am confident that this investigation will represent a new paradigm in research by fostering new directions and addressing overlooked issues in the field of ASD research.

Hypothesis:
          My hypothesis to be tested is twofold: First, it is my hypothesis that one of the  causes or contributing factors of ASD is due to the lack of a natural electrical contact between the human body and the organic surface of the earth. This disconnectedness with the earth, and lack of natural grounding, can cause inflammation and create an array of electrophysiological disturbances and disconnections. Research has proven our bodies are electric: The heart, digestive tract, brain as well as the movements of nutrients and water into our cells are all regulated by electrical fields. It is well established, though not widely known, that the surface of the earth possesses a limitless supply of free or mobile electrons as a consequence of a global atmospheric electron circuit. However, in today’s society, humans are often disconnected with the earth: asphalt blankets the ground, homes keep us elevated and rubber or plastic soles cover our feet. Therefore, we  rarely gain the positive benefits of direct physical contact with the earth. Without a connection to the earth‘s natural electricity, these electrical imbalances elevate and extend the life of disease-causing, free radicals. By implementing these breakthrough devices, the benefits of direct earth connection enables both diurnal electrical rhythms and free electrons to flow from the earth to the body. Electrons are thought to act as natural anti-oxidants by neutralizing positively charged inflammatory free radicals. It has been proposed that the earth’s diurnal electrical rhythms set the biological clocks for hormones that regulate sleep and activity.1  
          Second, it is also my hypothesis that another underlying cause or contributing factor of ASD is due to disrupted Schumann Frequencies. In the 1950‘s, German physicist Dr W. O. Schumann discovered the presence of standing electromagnetic waves in Earth’s atmosphere.2 These waves of energy , due to lightning strikes within the earth’s atmosphere, are now called the “Schumann Resonance.”  Research has suggested they introduce subtle but important regulatory influences on living systems and that intelligence and the health and well-being of the human mind and body system depends on the stable functioning of the Schumann Resonance field. Our brain waves share and are attuned to certain frequencies of the Schumann's Resonance; furthermore, some research shows that variations in Schumann Resonance can produce mild to disastrous health and behavioral changes.3,4  ASD could be a consequence of disruptions of some of these regulatory influences. Such disruptions and variations can be from the electrical fields produced by modern electronic technology or solar events; therefore, it is important to shield and protect the body from indiscriminate fields and re-attune to the fundamental frequencies of the Schumann Resonance.
          The purpose of this research is to ascertain if through the combined effects of these two technologies, people enduring the struggles of ASD will benefit.  It is my hypothesis, that by restoring the natural electrical homeostatic balance within their bodies (through Earthing Ô), as well as re-tuning to the basic Schumann frequencies (through Earthpulse Technologies Ô), their body’s own natural rhythms will be reinstated.  As a result, sleep and immune function will improve; metabolic processes will normalize; cells will strengthen; inflammation will decrease; and language and cognitive intellect should benefit.  Lastly, a decrease in the number and intensity-or a total elimination of-seizures in some participants could occur.  

Research Strategy:
          My research strategy is to employ two alternative therapy devices to aid people living with ASD in reconnecting with the beneficial frequencies of the earth. The first device is called Earthfx and will be used to ground the participants. The second device is from Earthpulse Technologies and will provide the benefits of Schumann Resonance frequencies. Devices will be purchased through this award and delivered to the participants place of residence. Both devices will be used at home during sleep. The principal investigator will obtain the services of an expert in experimental design and statistics as well as advice from all principal collaborators, including James L. Oschman Ph.D.  Approximately 40-50 willing participants of all ages, social classes and different geographical locations will be chosen in addition to control participants. During research, all participants and investigators will use computer technology to communicate any specific instructions, potential questions, and progress.

Impact:
           If this hypothesis is correct, people living with ASD could experience an improved quality of life and an immediate significant impact on their health.  The embedded savings and cost effectiveness of these devices is unmatched, because future users would only need a single purchase of these two devices, rather than a multitude of costly hospital visits, interventions and prescriptions. The relief on our health care system would be of potentially enormous proportions. I believe these products warrant attention for ASD sufferers and their families mainly due to their  life-enhancing properties and their cost-effective nature.

Innovation:
          The innovative project I propose takes the ASD research in a new direction by shifting some of  the focus of ASD research from genetics and chemical and environmental pollutants, to the disruption of the earth’s natural atmospheric electrical frequencies and the lack of the free flow of electrons from the surface of the earth.  The  benefits of using specifically configured time varying magnetic fields has added a new and exciting dimension to biology and medicine, and a revolution is occurring.5                                  

1 Oschman, James L. P.h.D. “Perspective: Assume a spherical cow:The role of free or mobile electrons in bodywork, energetic and movement therapies’’ www.intl.elsevierhealth.com/journals/jbmt 26 jan 07. 09 march 09: accepted August 2007.
2 W.O. Schumann and H.L. Konig, “Uber die beobachtung von atmospherics bei geringsten frequenzen”, Naturwissenschaften, no 41, p. 183, 1954.
3  Cherry NJ. “Schumann Resonances, a plausible biophysical mechanism for the human health effects of Solar/Geomagnetic Activity”. Journal of Nat. Hazards. 2002;26:279-331.
4  Cherry NJ. “Human intelligence: The brain, an electromagnetic system synchronized by the Schumann Resonance signal”.  Elsevier  Medical Hypothesis . Vol. 60 issue 6 Jun.03 received 5 August 2002; accepted 11 Nov. 2002.
5 Bassett C.A.L. “Beneficial Effects of Electromagnetic Fields”. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 51:387-393 (1993) Received July 20, 1992; accepted August  1992.   magnetictherapydevices.com      earthpulsetechnologies.com    barefoot health.com   earthfx.net

0
0
Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
I agree with your daughter's provider that she needs to be evaluated by a neurologist. I would be concerned with any child that losses previously  achieved milestones, or one that achieves those milestones but with a delay and would want to rule out a neurological reason for the symptoms.  Follow your daughter's provider's advice.

0
0
meganw1987
meganw1987 writes:
Autism typically effects boys more than girls, although that doesn't rule out your daughter.  Children with autism typically do not like to be touched and do not make eye contact at all, or it is fleeting (seconds).  I'm not an expert in the field but it sounds to me like your daughter is frustrated by her language delay and is taking it out on the family.  I believe each state has an early intervention program that you can refer to and have your daughter tested.  My son has just finished receiving speech services through our state.  He started at 18 mths saying only one word (Dada) and just this evening (at 2 yrs 3 mths) was picture- reading "Goodnight Moon."  The process is painless and will give you the answers you are searching for from people who are experts in the field.

1
0