Emancipation
Emancipation asks:
Q:

18 yr old daughter -Jr in High School

My soon to be 18 yr old daughter is insistent upon getting her own apartment and continuing high school while working part time.  Her current home life is  a typical middleclass family. She is a competitive figure skater which she also chooses to stop. She is influenced by the new boyfriend, a high school drop out, working at IHOP for a career. What are my options to secure monies placed in accounts for post high school education? To protect her from signing leases, contracts, etc?  We live in Alaska.
In Topics: Jobs/Careers, Teen issues, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

I am sorry that we cannot give legal advice on this forum.  However, it would seem that from an educational standpoint, a meeting with a School Psychologist and/or HS guidance counselor may be helpful to allow your daughter some venue to speak about her plans, future, aspirations, etc.  Also, a meeting with a financial planner could help her to understand exactly how much money it takes to be financially independent. Lastly, you may wish to speak to banking officials about her monies.

Sometimes, information from an outside source, can be very helpful with educating teens who react emotionally and not always intellectually, when it comes to matters of the heart!

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

1
0
Anonymous