ttobias
ttobias asks:
Q:

I have a 18 yr old whom can read but has no comprehension.  He was diagnosed with add but thats all. What do you think?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, ADHD & attention issues

|

Dear Ttobias:

Great question.  I would go to your physician and ask the same question.  Your son may benefit from an examination to determine if a brain or neurological condition is present which may prevent his taking the written word to another part of the brain. Pediatricians who specialize in neurology and development are qualified (with learning disability specialists) to help in these situations. Gather information. Speak to his teachers. Review the ADD diagnosis with the person who made it. Give feed back to the team and if there isn't a team for him, form one (physician, specialist, teachers).  He is 18 years old. How has he managed school to date? what skills did he develop along the way for self help in reading? The next step for him is independent living and you need to help him "launch" his adulthood and self advocacy.  Best wishes.

3
1