ttobias
ttobias asks:
Q:

I have a 18 yr old whom can read but has no comprehension.  He was diagnosed with add but thats all. What do you think?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, ADHD & attention issues

|

Dear Ttobias:

Great question.  I would go to your physician and ask the same question.  Your son may benefit from an examination to determine if a brain or neurological condition is present which may prevent his taking the written word to another part of the brain. Pediatricians who specialize in neurology and development are qualified (with learning disability specialists) to help in these situations. Gather information. Speak to his teachers. Review the ADD diagnosis with the person who made it. Give feed back to the team and if there isn't a team for him, form one (physician, specialist, teachers).  He is 18 years old. How has he managed school to date? what skills did he develop along the way for self help in reading? The next step for him is independent living and you need to help him "launch" his adulthood and self advocacy.  Best wishes.

3
1

DrEducationmathon
DrEducation... writes:
What do I think about what?

1
1
Rigel77
Rigel77 writes:
Dear ttobias,

It may not just be ADD. Have you had him professionally evaluated by a Reading Specialist at his school? He may not be interested in reading and may need extra help to focus and concentrate on what he is reading. He may also need to explore different kinds of reading material to find something he is INTERESTED in reading. Does he like Science Fiction or Fantasy? How about non-fiction alternatives?

See the attached links on self-regulation, and reading comprehension strategies for high school readers. I would suggest a tutor.

1
0
hopefulness
hopefulness writes:
Maybe he's not gettin the help he needs I have a nephrew with it and i tell his mother the same they need more help then what they are gettin

0
1