ttobias asks:

I have a 18 yr old whom can read but has no comprehension.  He was diagnosed with add but thats all. What do you think?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, ADHD & attention issues
> 60 days ago



Wayne Yankus
Oct 22, 2009
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Dear Ttobias:

Great question.  I would go to your physician and ask the same question.  Your son may benefit from an examination to determine if a brain or neurological condition is present which may prevent his taking the written word to another part of the brain. Pediatricians who specialize in neurology and development are qualified (with learning disability specialists) to help in these situations. Gather information. Speak to his teachers. Review the ADD diagnosis with the person who made it. Give feed back to the team and if there isn't a team for him, form one (physician, specialist, teachers).  He is 18 years old. How has he managed school to date? what skills did he develop along the way for self help in reading? The next step for him is independent living and you need to help him "launch" his adulthood and self advocacy.  Best wishes.

Wayne Yankus, MD, FAAP
expert panelist: pediatrics
Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (3)

Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely