Anonymous
Q:

Does my 18month old have mild autism?

My daughter had a traumatic birth,in which i was advised by a health visitor to look into 'cranial massage' as she would scream/cry,even if she was being comforted. After this treatment she definitly improved but still remained unsettled.
She crawled and walked at the correct milestones and is now beginning to say a few words.
However she has never been affectionate,will either cry or have a tantrum if you do something for her, will want a particular story read to her repeatedly(e,g 20 times a day)or will generally repeat something over and over again. I just feel something isnt right!
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

I will assume that you live in the United States.  The reason is that there are Federal programs which help to provide resources, assessment and support for young children who may be at risk and their parents. You can learn more about early intervention programs through your local school district board office, your state department of education, local Head Start or even your library, perhaps!

These services should be free. Be sure to document your concerns so you have a log of what is "not right" and why.  

Best wishes,

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0

LisaJuarez
LisaJuarez writes:
If you feel something is not right have her tested. There are programs such as Volunteers of America(free) or take her to a developmental pediatrician. It doesn't hurt to have her tested and if there is nothing wrong your fears have been eliminated and if there is early intervention is the way to go. Just remember the Autism spectrum is very wide and includes lots of different levels of Autism at many different levels.   I listed 2 websites for you to checkout baby center has a lot of good info on milestones but remember kids do develop differently. I hope this was helpful.

1
0
supermomsabrina
supermomsab... writes:
With having a 14 yr.old parapelegic at home from being crushed by a semi, a 9 year-old with Autism, Communication Disorder, and Sensory Dysfunction, and my 4 Graduate level courses I probably shouldn't be taking the time to answer this question....but it really jumped off the page at me and I hope it gets to you.

My son was only four months old and I knew something wasn't right (he screamed bloody murder every time I tried to pick him up). Now, given my background in education and the study of child development helped, but I didn't want to blurt out like some insane mother that my four month old baby had Autism.  So I waited until he started to show more signs.  Isaac, his name, by the time he could sit (6 mo) was throwing himself onto the ground banging his head, going into tantrums, wouldn't let me hold him, had food aversions, wasn't vocalizing, all signs pointing to Autism.  My advice to you, in a quick manner, is to get him to an Autism Center (I took Isaac at 18 months to The University of Chicago).  It was so worth it.  Don't mistrust your judgment about your child. If you think something is wrong....something probably is but that doesn't mean that you cannot step in and provide EARLY INTERVENTION FOR THAT CHILD! Please if anything do this.  It will make a world of difference for that child in his/her future.  My email is supermomsabrina@yahoo.com if you want to chat more later.  God bless.

0
0