WannaGraduate
WannaGraduate asks:
Q:

Hi, i am a 18yr old with an iep and i would like to know how long can i attend an regular high school in the state of california?

I recently attended an adult school in las vegas, and have now moved back to california. I only need government and some electives. But would like to go to an regular high school. But my graduation yr was last yr, so i'm not sure if its possible to still attend? I dont have the money to enroll into an adult school this time around. And in las vegas i was told i could attend an regular high school up until 21. I wonted to know if it's possibly thee same? Thank's in advance!
In Topics: School and Academics, Public School, Special needs

|

Hello-

My thoughts are that you should go to your local high school and ask for a special education/ IEP meeting. Make all your requests in writing. As a person with adult status, you can request this yourself and not your parent or guardian. Ordinarily a student who remains in school is allowed to have special services until they turn 22. However, it is not as simple as it sounds.

The staff should review your records and let you know your status and any options.  If you wish, you can try and locate a special education advocate in your area. Some are free. The Board of Education office and/or local library may be able to assist you.

Also, feel free to check out this special educational legal website for more information:  http://www.wrightslaw.com

Good luck and bravo to you for wanting to finish high school!

Louise Sattler
Psychologist
SigningFamilies.com
411Voices.com

0
0

Houli
Houli writes:
The answer that you got from school personnel in Las Vegas is correct. You have a right to attend a public school up to the age of 21 in most states, and I suspect California allows this as well.

You should make an appointment with the school guidance counselor where you live and explain your situation. I am sure you will get the help and support you need.

0
0
SigningTiger
SigningTiger writes:
Here in Florida, I believe the age is 22. It would be best to look up what California's law is or even federal law on the topic of how long students with IEPs can stay in school.

0
0
SigningTiger
SigningTiger writes:

0
0
Anonymous