WannaGraduate asks:

Hi, i am a 18yr old with an iep and i would like to know how long can i attend an regular high school in the state of california?

I recently attended an adult school in las vegas, and have now moved back to california. I only need government and some electives. But would like to go to an regular high school. But my graduation yr was last yr, so i'm not sure if its possible to still attend? I dont have the money to enroll into an adult school this time around. And in las vegas i was told i could attend an regular high school up until 21. I wonted to know if it's possibly thee same? Thank's in advance!
In Topics: School and Academics, Public School, Special needs
> 60 days ago



Jan 12, 2012
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:


My thoughts are that you should go to your local high school and ask for a special education/ IEP meeting. Make all your requests in writing. As a person with adult status, you can request this yourself and not your parent or guardian. Ordinarily a student who remains in school is allowed to have special services until they turn 22. However, it is not as simple as it sounds.

The staff should review your records and let you know your status and any options.  If you wish, you can try and locate a special education advocate in your area. Some are free. The Board of Education office and/or local library may be able to assist you.

 Also, feel free to check out this special educational legal website for more information:  http://www.wrightslaw.com

Good luck and bravo to you for wanting to finish high school!

Louise Sattler

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (3)

Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely