How to help 19 month old son with sleep issues?

"My 19 month old son will not stay in bed and screams when you put him back in there. He will also scream uncontrollably at 3 or 4am. Is there anything that would help with this? I've tried everything."

Asked on Twitter by @colebaby6223 to @ChildPsych
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Parenting / Our Family, Sleep and rest

Perhaps your child does not like something about his bed, such as the way it feels, or the way it is positioned.  Try to rearrange the bed, make bedtime a pleasant routine (bath, baby massage in the bed, and then reading a book), and definitely have a night light on to make night-time less scary.  Does your child like a particular toy or baby blanket?  Make that a transition object that your son takes to bed for comfort.  When he wakes up at night, reassure him and gently soothe him back to sleep.