Sboysworth
Sboysworth asks:
Q:

Should my 1st grader be expected to read and comprehend a math test independently?

My first grader was given a math test and was expected to read and comprehend then answer the questions on her own. She is an emergent reader. Needless to say she received a 68, and is inconsolable because she got an F. Is this something most 1st graders are capable of in the beginning of the year? or is her teacher setting standards too high for her?
In Topics: Learning styles and differences

|

laurenf
laurenf writes:
Hi Sboysworth,

I would say yes, first graders should be able to read and complete a math test on their own. Given that your daughter is an emergent reader I can see how she might not have enough time to completely finish her exam.

I would contact your daughter's teacher to see if there is a special situation they can set up for your daughter. Maybe the test can be offered before a break, and your daughter can stay late if need be? Or maybe she can stay after school and take the test then? I'm sure the teacher or school would be willing to be flexible to accommodate young learners.

Attached is an Education.com article on where children should be reading wise by age 5-6. Hopefully this can help you gauge where your daughter is in relation to other first graders.

0
0