Edna24
Edna24 asks:
Q:

My 1st grader hates going to school. There is no specific reason why.

My son hates going to school since kindergarten.  He has smiley faces every day, nice teacher, friends and is learning well.  However, every single evening and morning, he gets upset that he has to go to school.  It is so draining.  Ive talked to the teacher several times and she has nothing but nice things to say about my son.  We've have punished him by taking videos away, limited tv time. Both my husband and I do spend time with him.  He is a very sensitive boy and loves his games.  What we have got from him after much much asking.... is that he feels school is too long, too much work and not that much fun.  I go eat lunch with him at least two times out of the week, we watch one of his favorite shows after dinner and if he doesn't nag in the morning or evening he gets to play for a little while with the xbox.  He has for me to go to work, but doesnt have a problem when his father goes to work.  He is a well behave child and this is really the only thing that worries me.  However it is a constant thing every day twice a day and it is draining me. Now, I don't over stressed because I have gone to the school, talked to his teacher and I know he is not getting bullied.  What else can I do?
In Topics: Back to school, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Several parents share similar accounts with their children not wishing to go to school. Therefore, you may wish to look at other responses here on JustAsk.

It seems that you are trying many things that can be quite helpful.  However, school avoidance can be tricky, so you may wish to consult with the School Psychologist or School Counselor for additional help and resources.

Also, sometimes bullying occurs under the radar and teachers miss it! So, please do not discount bullying as a possibility.

Thanks again for writing and best wishes.

0
0

Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:

0
0
AshleySheeren
AshleySheeren writes:
This sounds like your son doesn't find school interesting. It's good that your son's teachers have good things to say about him. I would ask the teachers what kind of activities they are doing with their class. It might be that your son isn't a hands on learner if that is a lot of what the teacher is doing. Or if your teacher does a lot of worksheets/book work it maybe that he's having a hard time understanding what he needs to do. It could also be that he has some vision problems and that is why he's not liking to go to school. I have been teaching now for some time and I've been at all levels and I have noticed with the younger children that often if they don't like school it's because they cannot see well or they aren't challenged in the way they need to be challenged. Figure out what your son can relate to the most and help him to bring that into the classroom to relate to what they are doing and he might just like school a little more.

0
0