tgozzie
tgozzie asks:
Q:

Should my 1st grader be retained instead of moving up to 2nd. He is reading on a finishing K level but all his other work is up to speed?

He was put on ADHD mecication halfway through the year and it helped trmendously, also the fact that he couldn't see and was prescribed glasses helped too. If he is up to speed in all but reading can he not go on and catch up in the 2nd grade in reading? I'm not opposed tokeeping him in the 1st grade but would like to see him with his friends and peers.

|
Hi!

I understand your concerns, but recommend that you talk with his teacher for their view.  You mentioned that he does well with everything else and has established friendships.  You also mentioned that any problems he has had has been addressed and has helped, so unless the teacher feels that there is a reason for your son to be held back, I would not worry.

You can read with your child (each night), reading together helps so much!  I'm sure that you will see improvement with his reading abilities and he will be fine in the 2nd grade.  Check with your local library to see if they have a Summer Reading Program that he can participate in.  Reading is always easier when it's fun.  I've included a few sites that is fun and helpful in reading.  Hope this helps!

Best wishes & hope you and your son have a great summer!!

1
0
bevbev35
bevbev35 writes:
no he should not be held back even if his reading is low u can work on it during the summer and you should get him hooked on phonix it is very good for reading and understanding the words but no let him keep on achieving his goal

0
1
yourhomeschool
yourhomesch... writes:
If he is up to speed on everything else and you have addressed the ADHD and vision - I think he should go on to second grade. Be prepared to get him support in reading in case he doesn't quickly come along in it.  His overall maturity is also a factor to consider.

1
0