supermom1971
supermom1971 asks:
Q:

My 1st grader's teacher wants to retain him this year.

I am concerned that my son's first grade teacher is wanting to retain him this year and I feel she is holding him back.
I was told that the parents have a choice in the matter. Is this true?
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school, My Relationship with my child's school

|

Hello Supermom 1971 and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

As an educator I am always concerned when I hear the words "retention".  There are some good reasons for retention- such as a long illness which lead to many school absences or starting as at a young age in comparison to peers.

However,  I personally would FIRST request in writing for the school multi-disciplinary team to convene and conduct assessments on your child's ability and academic levels based on her age.  Only after such assessments are conducted will you have a clear idea as to if your child is lagging and needs academic assistance or simply did not connect to classroom materials for other reasons (such as maturity).

Please visit http://www.NASPonline.org (parent section) for more detailed information regarding educational assessments and services.  

Thank you for writing to JustAsk this important question.

Louise Masin Sattler NCSP
Owner of SigningFamilies.com
Host of Learning and Laughter on www.toginet.com radio

0
0