mharis
mharis asks:
Q:

help my 1st grader

we just moved in our new home and the school that we have in the area started 2 mons ago. my son was placed on a Track. they placed him in a track that is finishing up this sept. meaning my son missed almost the whole 1st simester. the school game me materials to use to catch up but i think its not enough to help my son catch on the math specially the math part. his shock to start in a class that he doesnt really know whats going on. what can i do to help him catch up quickly. we do his homework plus his catch up work worth 8 wks. my son continues to have a good study habbit and patience to learn but sometimes his getting overwhelmed. Did he missed alot or can he still catch up? what does 1st grader learn at the first weeks?
In Topics: Back to school

|
Miriam1
Miriam1 writes:
Iâm sorry your son and your family are going through this tight situation. My recommendation is to meet with your sonâs teacher and express your concerns, his teacher would be able to evaluate your family situation and also evaluate your sonâs performance. Get in contact with other families from the same classroom they have gone through that time and will have a better overview. You may want to host play dates for your son with his classmates to help him making friends, with friends and friends support school will be more enjoyable for him. Good luck!

1
0
Jeanette38
Jeanette38 , Parent writes:
It is difficult for a child to start in a new school 'behind' the other children. If you have the skills to go through the additional work then keep at it. Otherwise you may want to find a one to one tutor for him just until he catches up if you are really concerned. Perhaps the school can support you in this? If he has 8 weeks to catch up on then it is important that he doesn't become over whelmed with the volume of work to be done. Space it out so that he can see the progress he is making and that he doesn't feel he has to complete it all in a few weeks.

0
0