br825
br825 asks:
Q:

How do I keep my 2 1/2 year old in his car seat?!

My 2 1/2 year old can unbuckle his car seat. I was driving on the highway the other day looked back and my son has his straps across his chest unbuckled. His legs are buckled but he can get the other one undone. This has happend 2 times I always check it and make sure it is tight. But he knows how to work it. I am scared to go anywhere now with him what am I suppose to do never take him anywhere? Any advice

|

Although it is not unusual for young kids to unbuckle themselves from their car seat, it is definitely a scarey thing for a parent to deal with!  There are several things that you may want to try.  

First of all, in terms that your child can understand, talk to them about keeping their seat belt on and how they could get hurt if they don't.  Make a big production yourself out of wearing your own seat belt--role modeling is very important.  If necessary let your child know that if they take their seat belt off there will be a consequence.  They can lose a toy or TV time or special snack.  The opposite holds true if they keep it on, let them know that there will be a reward or just praise them and hug them when they keep it on.  

You can also keep prompting them during the ride in the car--make a game out of both of you keeping it on.  Remember, sometimes kids do "naughty" things to get attention.  Interacting frequently with them during the ride, and having activities or music for them can help alleviate boredom that could lead to trying to escape from the car seat.

Best of luck!
1-800-448-3000

1
0