mauve
mauve asks:
Q:

Looking for new, fun-based simple way to teach numbers 10-99 as tens and ones.

I want to know a new, fun-based, simple way to teach numbers 10-99 as tens and ones. For example: number 25 =2 tens+5 ones in a 1st standard class. Can anyone help me?
In Topics: Back to school, Preschool

|
ASimon
ASimon writes:
Hi Mauve,
   I think it's great you're not just taking the usual "drill and kill" approach to math and numbers, as I'm sure your students will appreciate the fun when dealing with something challenging!

Just off the top of my head, You could make a fun exercise using pennies and dimes with your students (or a different currency equivalent to 1 cent and 10 cent pieces). For example, you could give a set number of pennies and dimes to each group (make sure you explain the value of each) and then give an arbitrary number (say 27) for the groups of students to try creating with their coins in whatever way they saw fit (2 dimes and 7 pennies, 1 dime and 17 pennies, etc.)

Aside from that, Education.com has a lot of fun math activities that you can alter for your goals, for example here's another one involving counting coins:
http://www.education.com/activity/article/groupit_first/

Hope this helps and your students have fun!

2
0
CreativeRachna
CreativeRac... , Child Professional, Teacher writes:
It's nice to hear you are such an involved parent.  You are on the right track by trying to make math fun.  Some fun math games are counting the eggs, for double digit math and egg carton math fun.

I'm including our reference page for first grade math activities.  
http://www.education.com/activity/first-grade/math/

Good luck,
Rachna

1
0
ginaa
ginaa , Teacher writes:
Hi Mauve,

I think it's great that you're taking the time to make this lesson on counting fun for your students. A pleasant and interesting tactile experience will help them internalize and apply the logic of the lesson so much better that working with numbers and chalkboard.

There are several examples of simple manipulatives you can use to illustrate your teaching content. For example, you could tie up drinking straws into bundles of fives and tens and have students guess how many bundles they would need to get 25 straws. Alternatively, you could provide the with loose straws have them make bundles that add up to the number you give them.

You can also find examples of similar activities online. Here is one link you could look at, you may need to tweak the lesson plans a little:

http://pbskids.org/readingrainbow/parents_and_teachers/activity_131.html

1
0
pipewalafatema
pipewalafat... writes:
i want method of teaching maths

0
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hello!

Using sign language is a very visual and fun way to learn numbers, as well as other academic concepts, such as spelling!

Thanks for writing!

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0