chappy1978
chappy1978 asks:
Q:

Help! I think my almost 2 year old is going through really bad seperation anxiety.

I share 50/50 custody of my 21 month old son. Ever since I moved into my new apartment (moving out from his dad's) he has probably slept through the night a handful of times and it's been 5 months. I don't wake up to him crying, but screaming bloody murder. He has a nice bedroom, not too warm, not too cold. It doens't matter what time I put him down or what kind of bedtime ritual we do. This is every night. Last night he woke up 6 times screaming, between 10:30 and 3:00. I'm pretty sure he's having seperation anxiety with me because he is extremely needy during the day to the point where I can't even go to the bathroom in peace. He's very whiney throughout the day and demanding, constantly following me around. He doesn't like it when I spend time with other people, such as family members or their kids. I don't hang out with friends/love interests while I have him. His father claims that he has no behavorial problems while with him to the point where he doesn't even have to discipline him. He also said (and this just kills me) that our son goes to bed at 7:00 or 7:30 and sleeps through the night until 7:00 the next morning. This is not fair.

I guess I need to know what the best thing to do is.
I have put him in my bed in the past because I live on the third floor of an apartment and feel terrible for my neighbors. Should I put him in my bed until the seperation anxiety goes away.

Please help!!!
In Topics: Anxiety, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Going between households is very stressful for children of all ages.  Perhaps even more so for toddlers who don't understand the new family dynamics.  One of the most important thing is to keep your child's routines the same.  Routines provide predictability thus a sense of safety and security.  Also practice  consistent discipline (a system of teaching) to help your child thrive.

Suggested reading:

Practicing healthy discipline

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/component/content/article/172

0
0