chrisa3yl
chrisa3yl asks:
Q:

How can I help my 2 year old boy's shyness?

my 2 year old boy is always shy or scared every time he sees new people or he is in a new place with a lot of new faces, but if he is in the mall he likes to run so much and his not shy with other children to play with. I need help what seems to be the problem? thanks.
In Topics: Self esteem and identity

|

AnnieFox

One thing you should not do is label him as "shy." Parents tend to do this when their child meets a new person and is reticent to make eye-contact or speak up. At that point Mom or Dad will typically say, "He's shy." That's not helpful! In fact, all it does is reinforce the idea in the kid's head "Oh, I'm shy. Guess that means I'm supposed to act this way." Don't go there! And if someone else comments to you in your son's presence "Is he shy?" Please deflect that comment with a hand on your son's head and a confident response, 'My son is friendly and lovable. He also likes to check things out."

Bottom line... your son's behavior is NOT a "problem." Please do yourself and your son a huge favor and stop worrying. He's a healthy, happy, normal two-year old. He doesn't need improvement.

1
0