christina.richter
christina.r... asks:
Q:

My 2 year old wont listen help!

Hi i have a two year old son that wont listen to me. I have tried time outs,and putting him in the corner neither seems to work. He will listen to everyone else but it seems when i say tell him not to do something he purposely does it. he has gotten to the point when i tell him no he will start screaming and kicking his legs. he has hit and kicked me for telling him no then went and did it again. and when i tell him not to kick its not nice he just screams how do i get my two year to listen to me.

|

Try focusing not just on what he CAN'T do but also on what he CAN do.  For example, if he can't watch any more TV, he can spend some time playing or looking at picture books.  Don't just tell him but show him.  When you switch off the TV, be ready to transition him to something else.  Have the book in your hand.

The frustrating thing about children your son's age is that he's on the cusp of being able to understand what you say but not quite.  This makes him frustrated, too, but luckily this phase will be over, soon!  Since communicating can be a problem, be sure to use appropriate gestures and facial expressions.  When you're correcting him, stay calm and look like you mean business.

MKM, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
0
0