kimv
kimv asks:
Q:

My 20 year old son is being called "weird" by co-workers.  What can he, or I, do?

In Topics: Parenting / Our Family

|
Hi Kim,

If your son is typical (that is he doesn't have developmental challenges that require you to help him manage his life) I think the best thing you can do for him is encourage him to handle the situation on his own.  You can obviously be supportive and encouraging but at this point in his life he should be fighting his own battles so to speak.  

I assume, since he's talking to you about it, that he's upset his co-workers think he's weird.  I think as his mom you can remind him that being different isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Lots of very successful people in the world have also been called "weird"  (think Bill Gates!).  If he's happy with who he is, then there's no reason for him to change.  He can either address his coworkers directly and ask them to stop speaking about him this way, he can talk to his boss about his concerns, or he can change jobs in an effort to find an environment that's more accepting of who he is.  He should be working at a job that allows him to use his talents and personality to his advantage.

But again, as his mom, I wouldn't "do" anything except remind him that he's loved and support whatever he decides to "do".

Obviously, if he is developmentally challenged, you'll want to help him work through this situation by asking to have a meeting where you, your son, and his boss talk through the issues and create a plan to resolve them.

Good luck,

2
0
mayfieldga
mayfieldga , Teacher writes:
There is so much craziness in the world today.  I know I am considered weird by many persons simply because I do not share or go along with many of their values.  So this can be a good thing.  When a person understands what it is that is making him or her appear weird and can see the cause is not a problem within that person but a problem with the group, then perhaps, he or she can simply allow time and his or confidence in his or her values to allow for that person to remain weird but also accepted simply as being different and not in some caste mold.  At twenty there are many things persons may do that over time will correct itself if it is something of a short duration nature.  So either it is just a phase in his youth or a value system he will simply understand as different and over time will be more and more comfortable with his difference in spite of some rejection by others.

0
0