CdeeC85
CdeeC85 asks:
Q:

My 22 month old doesn't say much. Should I be worried?

my 22 month old son doesn't say any words besides mama. his first word was actually thank you at 17 months but now he doesn't even say that. we try to ask him to say easy words but he won't even try. he tries to say words and points alot but its not clear what hes saying. what should i do?
In Topics: Cognitive development, Speech and language issues

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I am going to answer this question under the assumption that you live in the United States.  

In the United States we have early intervention teams available to evaluate a child regarding developmental levels.  This team can be accessed by simply calling your local public school board office and requesting their contact information.  Also, follow- up your request in writing.  Tell them where you reside within your state/ county and they should be able to give you direct assistance.

In addition,  please ask your pediatrician for information.  He/She will be able to guide you to any developmental specialists (which may include the school, too) in your area.

Note that with early intervention, most children who are having difficulty with speech and language development can make great gains and go forth through their formal education years just fine!

Owner of Signing Families™
Host of Learning and Laughter with Louise (HerInsight network- toginet.com)

1
0