br825
br825 asks:
Q:

How do I keep my 2.5 year old in Time Out?

I have an out of control 2.5 year old boy. How do I keep him in time outs I have tried a chair and standing over him. He just keeps getting up nothing works.

|

Disciplining a 2 year old can be very frustrating for a parent.  There are several things that you might want to keep in mind.
1. It may seem very simple, but getting eye contact and giving eye contact to your child when talking to them can keep both of you focused on what is going on at the moment.  Your child is more likely to be listening to you if they are looking at you.
2. Take the role of a teacher when correcting him.  Keep a calm voice tone and rather than just telling him not to do something, explain why he shouldn€™t.  â‚¬Å“You could get hurt,€" or €œthat might break,€" are quick reasons that you can use.  
3. One other thing for you to look at is to see what is going on in your home when your child is not listening.  At 2 years old, your child thrives on attention from others.  If he misbehaves more frequently when you are busy doing other things, then he may just be trying to get your attention. Make it a point to sit down and play with your child, or provide activities for them to do that are nearby.  Give lots of hugs, praise and positive attention for good behavior.
4. If your child misbehaves, a quick 2 minute time out in a spot where he cannot do anything but sit, and where you can monitor his behavior, can quickly send a message that what he has done is wrong.  
Be aware that your child may be reinforced by any attention from you, even if it is negative attention.  Make sure that negative consequences are done quickly so you are not reinforcing bad behavior.  
Hopefully these ideas will help you to feel that you are setting your child on the right track and that you feel more positive about his behavior.
1-800-448-3000

1
0