Advantis
Advantis asks:
Q:

How can I help my 2nd grade daughter make (and keep) friends?

My 2nd grade daughter seems to have trouble fitting in with her peers and making friendships. She is active and outgoing. She does well with school work. She can be "annoying" I think. We have talked to her about this a lot and about what it takes to be and have good friends. She has no interest in sports and her attempts at other activities such as dance and gymnastics have ended poorly because she is not very good at them and they just cause more stress! Help!
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships

|
Phyllis Tortie
Phyllis Tortie writes:
Hi LeeAnn,<br />
<br />
Have you spent some time in her class to observe her and see what is happening in the classroom?<br />
<br />
What does she like to do? Maybe there's a special interest group in your area that she might really like to participate in and socialize in?<br />
<br />
Phyllis<br />

0
0
irishmom
irishmom writes:
You have just described my 2nd grade daughter to a tee.  It is so frustrating.  She is the nicest kid and gives everyone chance after chance after chance.  No matter how mean kids are to her, she'll still be kind to them.  We think she can be "annoying" at times too.  Our daughter has stuck with dance for 5 years but is made fun of because she is far from the best.  She won't give it up though because she likes it.

I want so often to cry.  Tonight I took her to dance and she said hi to the other girls in her class.  They completely ignored her like she wasn't in the room and spoke to me.  It hurts so bad.

0
0
MrsReading
MrsReading , Child Professional, Teacher, Parent writes:
Hi Advantis,

I have a question about your daughter! Is she an only child? The reason I ask is because it sounds like she may be used to spending a lot of time around adults. If this is the case then she probably is annoying with her higher vocabulary and impatient with her younger peers.

Only child or not though, her behavior is typical of girls that are probably going to end up leaders in the older grades. Friendship, however, is important. One very useful tool is to role play specific situations with her. If she has a problem with a peer have her assume the role of the peer and you be your daughter. Show her ways where she can handle the situation differently. This is VERY effective.

In addition, find a group, not sports if she has no inclination that way, how about starting a Pictionary club? She could invite 3 or 4 friends over on a Saturday, have pizza, and play Pictionary.

Please let us know how it all works out!

0
0