Momoftwocuties
Momoftwocut... asks:
Q:

My 2nd grade daughter reads almost constantly.  She reads on a 4th grade reading level, yet she struggles with spelling.  How could this be possible?

She has great comprehension, so I know she understands what she reads.  I am baffled as to what could result in her having so much difficulty with spelling.  It is beginning to frustrate her and I don't want to see her lose confidence in her abilities.

|

You sound worried about your daughter's skill at spelling. Considering that she is reading above grade level and enjoys reading so much, you can breathe a sigh of relief. Work with her by using flash cards or a spelling game. She will catch on!

0
0

angieh0707
angieh0707 writes:
I have a 1st grade girl who also reads at a 4th grade level and has more trouble with spelling.  I too was worried, spelling is important.  Then I found some things to make her spelling time and writing time more fun in order to spark that interest she was lacking.  We do random things for her spelling word repetition.  We rainbow write, roll the dice to choose a color to write the word. We use shaving cream or whipped cream to write the word.  We use the magnetic letters to write the word.  We will do a creative or silly sentence to write the word. We will draw pictures on an index card making our own flash card.  We use flash cards, I say the word and she tries to spell it. When she gets it right she gets a small treat like pretzels, m&m's, or grapes.  Find what motivates her and enjoy your time together. Most important make it fun.

0
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
reading is taught through the recognition of words. however, when it comes to spelling, it uses analysis and synthesis. meaning that words are broken in single sounds, which, when put together create words. words are spelt in vowel or consonant clusters or both. for example - string - str  ing makes up the word.  if these clusters are not established, then the spelling problems will occur.  spelling deals with visual sequencing, memory, discrimination - same and different, spatial relations and constancy of letters despite their size or font.  this sounds have to be seen as well as heard.  so you need to go back to basics and teach single sounds, then combine them and the child learns through repetition and practice.

1
0
mrshweeks
mrshweeks writes:
Teach her phonetics and that will help.

1
0