chandhu
chandhu asks:
Q:

My 2nd grade kid is not matured for his age. I would like to retain him.

My 7.5 year old Nov. born child takes too long doing his work at school and at home. He needs frequent help with directions. When he was 5.5 years old his speech assessment was at 4yr.8 month. The school had suggested retaining him in Kindergarten. We still went ahead and now he is in 2nd grade. We would like to change school for him and have him repeat second grade. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
In Topics: School and Academics, Cognitive development

|

greenprof2

As a parent who had to make the same decision for our daughter in elementary school, I sympathize with your predicament. We did decide to have Sarah repeat (in this case it was 7th grade). She remained in the same school which had a policy of multi-age classes. Because of that, the retention did not stand out quite as starkly to her classmates. It was the right decision and the extra year of maturing helped. Sarah is now a junior in college with a 3.94 GPA.

Michael Bentley, EdD, Expert Panel Member

1
0