kroo73
kroo73 asks:
Q:

My 2nd grade son has trouble writing a 5 sentence paragraph.  What can I do to help?

In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|
Here's how to write a basic five sentence paragraph:

A. It should start with a topic sentence that answers the prompt with one introductory sentence. To keep your child on track, you  may choose to encourage her to use key words from the question or prompt.
B. The following three sentence should provide support to the topic sentence. These can be either details or examples that reinforce what he or she has already stated.
C. The final, fifth sentence should restate the opinion or claim made in the topic sentence, but in a different way.

That adds up to five sentences! To give your child some practice writing a five sentence paragraph, check out this worksheet:

2
1
LittleScholars
LittleSchol... writes:
I would introduce a story web where you put the paragraph's topic in the middle.  This will also serve as his introductory sentence.  From the middle idea, draw lines or extensions where you can help him record his ideas.  On each line record a different idea.  Encourage him to use his senses to add details (how does it feel?  or smell? or taste? or sound?  make you feel? etc).  The last sentence should summarize or restate the first sentence.

3
0
nicholson.taran
nicholson.t... , Teacher writes:
Practice Helping Him and Then Try To Have Him To Do It By Himself.

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
www.donjohnston.com has wonderful software for developing paragraph writing in a fun way!  One is called Kidspiration.  Your son might enjoy this as a fun way of learning the basics.

0
0
kgunnerson
kgunnerson writes:
I know this sounds like I'm making excuses, but I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage.  Yes, they should start to get the idea in second grade, but I think that should primarily focus on reading a paragraph and being able to highlight the topic and closing sentences in one color and then highlight and number the three supporting detail sentences in another color.  (Some people refer to this as the "hamburger" style b/c the buns are the opening & concluding sentences, and the meat/tomato/lettuce would be the supporting details in the middle.)

They never used to teach holistic writing like this until about fourth grade.  Now they expect second-graders to catch on.  It's really too much.  In second grade, they should really be focused more on simply forming the letters correctly (some kids still don't have proper penmanship), spelling, punctuation, and grammar.  When you realize that just a few years ago the child didn't even know how to read and is still mastering the basics of written English language syntax, spelling, and grammar, you start to appreciate how much they have really learned in the space of just a couple of years.  I think it's overkill to have them writing in paragraph form, too.

2
1