sunshine1025
sunshine1025 asks:
Q:

Is it okay for a 2ND grade teacher to make their students write 25 lines for not staying focused or not finishing tests on time every other day?

My child is in the second grade.He came home the other day having to write 25 lines "i will finish my work on time and stay focused" I asked what happened? he says they were taking a test and they had to carry; he was using his fingers and the problems got hard...he stopped his work,took a breath and looked around the room and the teacher caught him, asked him what was he supposed to be doing(being focused) and sent him home with lines. This isnt the first time this is like the 9th time that i know about he has to write lines and have recess taken away...I feel this is lowering my childs self esteem and setting barriers between his relationship with him and his teacher

|

One of the hardest things for many parents is to see their young child struggle in school, and feeling like you have no control.  It can really tug at your heart.  

Making a child write repeated sentences for not paying attention may not be the best practice, but it is not harmful in and of itself.  The way your son explains the situation, it does sound excessive.  But, if the teacher seems to be caring and understanding in other areas, this will not necessarily harm your son’s self esteem.  If she berates your son in front of the class and does not give him a chance to explain himself, then there will be cause for concern.  

Make sure you talk to your son’s teacher, rather then take your son’s explanation of what happened as the complete story.  His perception of what precipitated her giving him the writing assignment could be very different than the teacher’s.  

As a parent, it is important that your son does not hear you question the teacher’s authority.  Try not to take “sides” with your son on this issue.  Until you know the entire story from the teacher herself, you can continue to support your son and encourage him to do his best.  If your son develops anxiety about going to school for example, then there definately may be more problems in his classroom than he is able to express or verbalize.  

Best wishes to you and your son!

1-800-448-3000

1
0

ashita21
ashita21 , Student writes:
hiii...

answer to ur question -
not unlesss she wants the child to dislike/hate:
1. education
2. school
3. writing
4. the teacher herself.

according to me homework and education related activities should never be given as punishment. giving homework as punishment is the very reason y kids hate homework!

1
0
lasha
lasha writes:
it is not right .it will couse him to hate school. i know becouse it happen to me. when i was in school.it couse me to quit school.

0
0
No this is not appropriate and I would report the teacher el pronto. Request to the BOE you want a change for your child (another teacher).

0
0
amandaflags
amandaflags writes:
I am a parent of a 4th grader and i was told this is now concitered corpral punishment - your teacher could be fired for this - please bring this up to your principal!

0
0