algslpg
algslpg asks:
Q:

How do I get my 2nd grader over a reading plateau? His fall MAP score was a 202, his spring MAP score a 204. He made no progress all of 2nd grade.

In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
GrannyKaye
GrannyKaye writes:
I have found in tutoring children in reading that different children learn to read at different ages.  

I would say cover the basics of phonics and blends and use free online resources.

I have my child read for twenty minutes twice a day and that seems to help.  I think the more they read the more they want to read.

I will list a couple of helpful websites.  Homeschool Freesource bank has lots of material in their links section.  Just click on the reading link and I think there are tons of resources.

1
0
RileyFamily
RileyFamily writes:
Read to them every day! Find books that interest them. My kids really enjoy Dr. Seuss. The books you read to them should be two levels  above what they can read (dibbels.com).  When you read a book that is their level, take turns - you read a page they read a page. This builds confidence and eventually they will have a love for reading- my kids are different one loves books but the other is obbsessed with reading every street sign. At least thier reading!

1
0
charliejackson
charliejack... writes:
It may be well known - but it is so for a reason. Hooked on Phonics has been a best selling program for over twenty years. It focuses on teaching you, the parent how to teach reading the right way. As the previous replier stated, you need to put the time in yourself, both reading to and with your child. HoP is really interactive and normally kids love it as long as parents put in the regular effort required.

0
0
NancyKraz
NancyKraz writes:
Reading games such as ReadingEggs are great tools that my children have used (ages 3,5 &7). All of them excel above their peers. It's worth a look.

0
0
LisaTaylor2
LisaTaylor2 , Parent writes:
It's the long game....kids will get there in the end....as long as you keep helping them & maybe check with the school that there isn't any particular issues that you are not aware of (they will usually tell you, but always worth the ask....)
I used to get worried about my son, he seemed to be behind everyone else for a while, it does cause a great amount of anxiety of that I can relate to....but, in the end, they all seem to get there at their own pace....which is also part of the issue....it's not necessarily at the pace we want!!
You will look back at this eventually & wonder why you were ever worried!!

0
0