Huda
Huda asks:
Q:

My 2 yr, 8 month old son doesn't pay attention in class or answer teacher questions.

...unless in 1-to-1 conversation although he speaks well compared to his age. My son is very energetic and can play all day but he spends few min playing in one toy then goes to another. He does not accept to sit on chair at all and always jumping or wandering around the house. In preschool, he accepts to sit down but does not pay attention or more precisely does not look at teacher but looks around. He does not answer the teacher questions in front of the class unless she brings him into one to one conversation. On the other hand, at home he reflects very well what he learns at school, meaning although he is not looking at the teacher but learning very well. To mention that his language is even better compared to his two girl cousins of same age, is not shy at all as he speaks to any one he meets or to family. At home, I give him a lot of dedication, attention, care, play with him and teach him a lot, I am amazed how much he learns. His teacher is not able till now to know the reason why he is like this at school and I feel that she needs my help and I do not know what to do, because I see him a very sociable & smart boy while it is not the case in school. in my opinion, he has no anxiety disorder or hyperactivity problems but what, I do not know
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, Cognitive development

|

Dr.Susan

it sounds to me like your son is a typical two and a half year old boy! He's thriving, his language is developing and the fact that he is energetic is normal. The main reason we send toddlers to nursery school is to teach them how to interact in a group, begin learning to sit and pay attention and respond to the teacher. His teacher's job is to begin teaching him these skills, not become impatient with him. It is NOT possible to diagnose ADHD or anything else at such a young age, and it sounds like he's behaving the way he should be--especially since you're seeing the results of what he's learned at school, even if it appears that he's not paying attention. I suggest that you not worry and that the teacher have patience with him!
Good Wishes and Great Parenting,
Dr Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book “The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask”

3
0

sirenssong
sirenssong writes:
An almost 3 year old boy jumps and wanders.  He does not sit still and often answers questions that are not asked.  We have expectations that toddlers and preschoolers can sit still and learn, but play IS learning at this age.  Jumping triggers language in the brain.  Hanging from a jungle gym and swinging causes the brain to work in ways that help memory and cognitive function.  Skipping actually teaches the brain to be able read with bi-lateral movement.  Batting a ball causes the body to cross the midline, an important aspect in tracking words on a page.  The human preschooler is wired to move. The movement helps the brain learn academically.

It sounds like he is incredibly bright and normal.  he may actually be bored at school, and only pays attention to what he likes. He is normal.  Enjoy your boy, he sounds wonderful!

0
0
Anonymous