siibo
siibo asks:
Q:

I have 3 1/2 year old bilingual son. Started preschool 2 weeks ago. He doesn't want to go to school, he doesn't understand anything...Help!

My son is 3 and a half now and he had been to a preschool in our country before and never ever cried even for once. He was the happiest kid in school. It was a half day school and he didn't stay for the nap time there.
We moved to the US one month ago and my son started preschool 2 weeks ago. The first day of the preschool, he was fine until he woke up from the nap time which was already the end of the day. The second day when I left him again, he did okay but cried 2 times this time: lunch and after nap time. The problem is the teachers cannot grab his attention during he is crying because of the language barrier. Then, I (the mother) stayed at school everyday making shortdays(2 hrs) with him until he feels safe, and he gets to know his teachers and friends.It has been like 7-8 days that I've stayed with him at school.During my stays, at the first 2 days he still wanted to go home. Later on, he was fine at school if I was there.  Yesterday, I left him at school again for only 1 one hour; and he was crying and yelling mom on my legs; and the teacher took him in to the classroom. I told him that I love him and I will come back when he will be done with his drawing and right after his toy share. When I went to school 1 hour later he was still crying at the school's playground next to his teacher and all his friends were playing. He had nightmares last night several times! He already had the night terror!Now he cannot sleep and begging me not to take him to sc
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Preparing my child for preschool

|

Anonymous