nana4114
nana4114 asks:
Q:

My 3 1/2 year old grandson screams when he wakes up from his naps.

My grandson lives with myself & my husband most of the time, staying with his mom 2 or 3 nights a week.  He usually wakes up in a good mood in the mornings but on the days when he takes a nap he is very disturbed when he wakes up.  It can take him up to an hour to stop screaming and it is impossible to settle him down.  He could use a nap on most days (Nana & Pap need a break too) but it's a tough decision whether to give him a nap when we know what will happen when he wakes up.  I talked to our pediatrician and her suggestion was to let him scream it out but he truly can't seem to control this behavior.  Should I just cut out naps altogether?
In Topics: Sleep and rest

|

At 31/2 you may want to consider stopping naps.  Some children benefit from naps until 5 and usually the naps last one to three hours.  Is he up too soon? children have a different deep sleep than adults.  Perhaps, he is awakening during his deep sleep and needs more. I am glad you talked with your pediatrician but I would revisit it with her again.

1
0