GyuKim
GyuKim asks:
Q:

Over 3 months isolation punishment for 2nd grader.

My 2nd grade son is not much socialized. According to his teacher, he bothered his classmates right next to him at the first days of this semester. The teacher put 2 empty chairs on both sides of him since then, and she told me about it at the first meeting on October in last year. My son kept telling us (mom and dad) that he had no friends at school, and that his classmates treated him as an alien.
I thought the punishment should last for one or two days, thus ignored his complaint about his class. But at the second meeting with the teacher on this month (3 and a half months later), I found out that he has been isolated from his classmates all the time. Now I know that the reason why my son showed anger with crying for the last several months was based on his situation in his classroom.

He began to refuse to do his assignment recently, and could not fall asleep easily.

In my opinion, the isolation punishment led his whole class members to recognize him as the boy who everybody has to stay away. My son seems to lose his self esteem completely.

Now they remove the empty chairs from him, but even the principal does not seem to get my complaint on this matter seriously.

Please advise me whether their way of treating my son was understandable or not. If not, where and how can I complain about this matter to stop them from doing the same thing to other students in future?

Thank you for reading, and your advice in advance.

- Poor daddy in New York
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Self esteem and identity, Discipline and behavior challenges

|
jenzamchiya
jenzamchiya writes:
In some states there is a Student Advocate assigned to each school through that State's Board of Education.  Many people don't know that such a person exists.  Their job is to tell you your rights as a parent/student and advocate on your behalf with the school.  Contact the Board of Education in your area to find out if your son's school has been assigned a Student Advocate.

Long periods of isolation is a torture technique used by opposing military forces. It is not an acceptable form of discipline for a young child.  Even though it's late in the year, a class transfer might be in order for your son. But whatever else you do, keep pushing until your concerns are addressed to your (and your son's) satisfaction. Godspeed!

4
0
ChristinMcClatchie
ChristinMcC... , Teacher writes:
This is not an acceptable form of punishment at all. As suggested below by another member, most school districts have a Student Advocate Board, these boards will fight for you, though depending on your school district you may have to do the leg work to find how to contact them.

A few options I would strongly encourage now to help your son with his self esteem, and to help get this matter solved within the school district.

1. Find children's activities in your area where your son can make new friends. Arrange play dates, and show your son that he is worth being around, no matter what the children at school do.

2. Talk to a children's counselor, they will be able to provide you with solid proof of the damage that was done by this teacher isolating your son.

3. Talk to your son's school counselor. They are here to help you just as much as they are here to help your son. They will be able to provide you an advocate within the school.

4. Go above the principal. Go to the school superintendent, go to the school board. They will not want their school to have a bad reputation because of a teacher, and most likely will help you out.

5. If your school district will not help you, go to your local paper, or news station. They will get you the publicity you may need to get this problem recognized. Most likely this is not the first time it has happened, a lot of parents are scared to create waves. Don't be you are your child's voice.

I hope that you can get this issue addressed, and I hope that your son can turn the rest of year into a positive experience. I wish you the best of luck.

3
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
that is such a bad thing to do to the little boy and it is UNACCEPTABLE. the teacher must be reported to the school board ASAP. teachers can be so cruel most times.  i agree with the person who said you must report the school to the newspapers.  in the meantime support your son and encourage the neighbours' children to play with him so that he does not feel left out.  allowing him to join a club of sorts - sports etc will help him to regain his confidence and self esteem.  I wish you both well.

2
0
aaveryshuey
aaveryshuey writes:
You should take some time and observe in the class. Observe your child in their environment with their friends. Take notes. Look at the "whole picture".

1
0
informedparent
informedpar... writes:
This is nothing short of child abuse.  The teacher needs to be held accountable both personally and by the school board. Your son has so many rights .  This is breaking federal laws.  Please see this thru...we need to protect our children from such.

1
0
Anonymous