GyuKim
GyuKim asks:
Q:

Over 3 months isolation punishment for 2nd grader.

My 2nd grade son is not much socialized. According to his teacher, he bothered his classmates right next to him at the first days of this semester. The teacher put 2 empty chairs on both sides of him since then, and she told me about it at the first meeting on October in last year. My son kept telling us (mom and dad) that he had no friends at school, and that his classmates treated him as an alien.
I thought the punishment should last for one or two days, thus ignored his complaint about his class. But at the second meeting with the teacher on this month (3 and a half months later), I found out that he has been isolated from his classmates all the time. Now I know that the reason why my son showed anger with crying for the last several months was based on his situation in his classroom.

He began to refuse to do his assignment recently, and could not fall asleep easily.

In my opinion, the isolation punishment led his whole class members to recognize him as the boy who everybody has to stay away. My son seems to lose his self esteem completely.

Now they remove the empty chairs from him, but even the principal does not seem to get my complaint on this matter seriously.

Please advise me whether their way of treating my son was understandable or not. If not, where and how can I complain about this matter to stop them from doing the same thing to other students in future?

Thank you for reading, and your advice in advance.

- Poor daddy in New York
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Self esteem and identity, Discipline and behavior challenges

|
Anonymous