sangetta
sangetta asks:
Q:

How do we get our 3 year old boy to stop wetting the bed, any ideas?

In Topics: Bedwetting

|

Noctunal enuresis, or bed wetting, is a common occurrence at 3 years of age.  Children first achieve daytime bladder control.  The age at which bedwetting stops might be determined by genetics, so children may stop wetting the bed at night at the time their parents did.

Some children sleep extremely deeply and may not be able to feel the urge to urinate until they are much older, even teenagers!  Again, that is determined by genetics in many cases.

Night time bed wetting should be a concern if a child achieves night time bladder control for at least 6 months, and then bedwetting resumes.  It sounds that all your child needs right now is time and reassurance.  If you are still concerned, talk with your son's health care provider.

Suggested readings:

Bedwetting: Finding solution

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=456&Itemid=0

1
0

Hi sangetta,

Thanks for using JustAsk!

I'm sorry to hear that your son is having this issue, but the great news is that bedwetting is very common... and very curable! We at Education.com recently did quite a bit of research on bedwetting to create a special edition feature on the subject. Here's a run-down of some of the things that I learned:

-Stay positive! It's important that your child doesn't feel like he's in trouble.
-Let him know that he's not alone: Many, many (5 million to be exact) kids over the age of 5 struggle with bedwetting, and he's not even at that age yet. I don't know the numbers for three-year-olds, but it's safe to say that many more than 5 million have trouble with bedwetting at that younger age.
-Share experiences that you, your spouse, or his siblings or cousins (with their permission) had with bedwetting, too. It's important to maintain his self esteem, and letting him know that respected adults and older kids also had trouble will help to do that.
-Whenever your son has a "dry night," make sure to praise him! Rather than getting down on himself about nighttime accidents, this allows him to feel good about his accomplishments. Celebrate with a little prize or a big hug!

Below, I've included a link to our special edition portal on edwetting. There, you'll find tons of information, such as how to broach the subject of bedwetting with your child, find some helpful bedwetting gear, and take steps toward eliminating bedwetting.

0
0
HELPFULPARENT
HELPFULPARENT writes:
If you get up at night to use the bathroom, after you use the bathroom wake him up to go. That is what I did with my son.  If I remember right he may have wet the bed once or twice.  He was around the same age your son is now. My boy is 14 now.  If you do that it may work.  It will also help if you do not give him anything to drink before bed or after a certain time at night.  give it some time it will work.  DON'T GIVE HIM A BOTTLE OR A SISSPY CUP OVER NIGHT.

0
1
nursegrace
nursegrace writes:
I am a retired RN, 55 y.o. & raised 3 children. When the youngest had a bedwetting episode, I read: a) don't scold; act like it is normal  b) I read that boys' bodies tend to grow faster than their bladders &
c) I used a teaspoon of HONEY in a cup of decaf, herbal tea for several nights (or a week, whatever).

His  bedwetting stopped in no time. The honey trick also works for women & men with bladder problems: it helps us hold it longer. That was from a book I read 30 yrs ago called: "Vermont Folk Medicine". I use it sometimes. It is amazing how well it works. And it is a shame they want people to take all these medications when all you need is a little HONEY.

Thank you,
Grace

1
0
cracked
cracked writes:
don't let him drink nothing before bed or a hour before bed or let him eat some nuts need nuts

1
1