MissStolz
MissStolz asks:
Q:

How can I get my 3 year old to eat dinner without making himself puke so he can be excused??

My son is 3 and whenever breakfast, lunch or dinner is ready he's excited until he sees what's to eat. It may be new to him or something he ate last week but if he doesn't want it, he will purposely make himself puke all over his plate so then he is excused and put to bed. Which that will make him upset as well. I try to explain to him that he has ate it before and liked it or that he only needs to try one bite. But once I make him eat one bite, it's back on his plate and his sisters are disgusted! Please help.
In Topics: Nutrition

|
amylouise1994
amylouise1994 writes:
First of all I would suggest
1) Ask the child what they would like to eat for that meal time, and what they would like to drink for that meal time, give a few choices, so that they can not for example just choose unhealthy and unbalanced meals all the time.
2) Let the child experiment with the different foods, as they are new textures and flavors. For example, let the child have finger food, so that they can have a close relationship with the food.
3) Make sure where possible you sit with your child at the dinner table, and have the same food too where possible, so that they can get used to eating properly at meal times.
4) Talk positively about the food, it's taste/flavors etc?

I hope this helps, if not I think you should possibly seek advice from a doctor/nutritionist, as the things I have suggested are on basic levels,
I hope it does help,
thanks.

2
0
DezahCruz
DezahCruz writes:
I had a problem similar to yours without the puking.  My son just doesn't like to eat food; although, he loves to drink! ......that is until I made a point in involving him in the cooking process.  Now he thinks of cooking as an art project and now is the proud consumer of his very own art project :-)

2
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hello and thank you for writing to JustASK!

Please consider consulting with your pediatrician regarding this behavior. A consultation with a person well versed in eating disorders/ atypical behaviors may be suggested, as well. These discussions could help rule out physiological reasons for the mealtime behaviors.

If this is purely behavioral and not due to a physical ailment then  you may wish to have him eat either with peers or alone.  Having your son eat with peers to see that boys his age usually enjoy a meal, try new and common foods and don't regurgitate daily may be helpful.  Also, if he eats alone then he will most likely will not seek nor receive any reactions.  However, do keep a keen eye on your son in the event he may choke if he does opt to vomit.

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Psychologist

1
0
melindaworland
melindaworl... writes:
first thing, cut back on snacks between meals. remember his stomach is the size  of his fist. my rules are, one bite of everything on your plate, then you can finish what ever you like and they always drink milk with their meals. the snack before bed was equal to what they chose to eat for dinner.  we also all stay at the table till the last one is done eating. they don't have to eat more if they are done, they just have to stay till the last person is finished eating, you would be surprised at how many times they picked at their plate till it was empty. good luck MelInda

0
0
surkaikandace
surkaikandace , Parent writes:
Sounds like he is a picky eater.  There has to be some foods that he hasn't puked  up......introduce new foods to him until you find something he likes.  Make them fun and interesting also.  There has to be something he likes.......  for instance, if he likes pancakes, you can make it healthier by making your own and adding veggies and fruit inside the batter.  I have picky eaters too.  It can be frustrating, but keep trying, or get the help of a nutritionist.

0
0