Nick1
Nick1 asks:
Q:

My 3 year old is more interested in playing with cars. How can i help him to study?

He is going to Montessori. He is more interested in playing. But when come to study he feel very difficult to listen. He listen for few minutes then he change his mind and wants to play. I feel very bad about this.

In his school also he is getting comments like he is not sitting and doing his work. He is always running here and there. Help me how to improve his concentration and make him to study.
In Topics: Preschool, My gifted child

|
BigSis
BigSis writes:

Young children have a harder time concentrating and it might take more to keep their attention. What if you incorporated his cars with studying? His favorite toys can be used to teach him how to count, spell, learn sounds, etc. For example, if he's learning colors teach him by using cars in different colors. Try using them as a supplement to his learning instead of a distraction. Hope this helps!

3
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
Three year olds have very very short attention span.  Its great that he loves his cars.  As in the above comment, help him with counting his cars, matching colors, etc.  For pre writing, he can imitate you making a vertical and horizontal line.  Turn those lines into roads that his cars can run on. Those lines will later turn into letters such as L, H,E, F.  Practice circles for the cars to race around. Also read him books about cars to help maintain his attention.  Ask him to find his cars that match the color of the cars in his book. Have fun with your son!

3
0
thfmom
thfmom writes:
Many children, particularly boys are not ready for formal learning at 3. Sitting and focusing on a task for any length of time is not indicated in developmental standards at that age.

The rigidity of the program he's in might not be suited for his personality. Have you considered moving him to a play based school? If getting a head start is very important to you, I would try implementing learning activities that keep him on his feet and moving. A tape measure is an excellent tool for teaching Little's numbers. They can measure everything and learn to recognize their numbers by reading the tape. Climbing steps and counting etc. will all teach him what he needs without demanding that he remain stationary. There is plenty of time for that as he moves into formal schooling.

2
0
AlissaH1213
AlissaH1213 writes:
My daughter is ADHD. What I did with her is whatever her passionate interest at the moment, make it the focal theme of the study area. Example: Cars are the present obsession, read books about cars, borrow puzzles of cars, watch "Cars" the dvd and ask Memory questions re: colors shapes names etc, visit a body/ repair shop, take him on a tour of a firetruck ambulance cop car.......   Give em what they need while they're getting what they want  :)

0
0
AlissaH1213
AlissaH1213 writes:
Btw...my ADHD girl is now a 10yr old 5th grade public school student, is "gifted" in special ed, is a Presidential Academic Award winning "A" student who reads at the 9th grade level. Don't worry so much. Hug yur kids and be thankful they are alive and they love you.

0
0
mgreer
mgreer writes:
I would definitly use his love of cars to teach him..he may be bored with structured setting.  Using games may interest him and soon he will soar. He may not be interested in learning something at this time either, it is amazing however how quickly they do know it when they are ready to put themselves into it.  He may already know it and just not ready to show you either.  My 4 year old is like that..one day she doesn't know it and then the next she is perfect.

0
0
rootseeker
rootseeker writes:
He is three.  It is surprising to me that a true Montessori school is complaining about his not sitting and doing his work.    

Three year olds have a VERY limited attention span.

He likes to play with his cars, great! Let him count and sort cars.  Is he hungry, or sick, or tired? If so, take care of that.

I wouldn't worry about it. He is three. Make it FUN. Keep it short. Follow his lead.  Do not frustrate him, and do not let the school frustrate him by making unreasonable demands.  

He's three.  Relax a bit.

0
0
ibrarhussainbest
ibrarhussai... writes:
People are tend to become more stable in accordance to their needs and life desires but  most of us are fond of making money. Your 3 year old is interested in fulfilling his/her desire which is a natural affect to every living body.

0
0
Anonymous