AngieABC
AngieABC asks:
Q:

How can I help my 3-year old learn colors?

I have tried every creative thing I can think of to teach my son the color red, blue, green, yellow, orange and purple.  He can sort colors into groups and recognize some colors by sight, but he can never remember the color red and blue.  Please advise.
In Topics: Preparing my child for preschool

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

For some children who have difficulty learning colors, it may be helpful to have them associate the color with a familiar object. So when you are talking about the color blue, say "This is blue like the sky."  Or, if they have difficulty with the color red, talk about things that are "Red like a heart."

Also, you might make each day have a color of the day. You can have your child wear the color of the day, eat foods that are that color, play with toys that are that color, and  cut out and glue pictures that have that color in it. Everything throughout the day should contain something with the color of the day.

By both pairing a familiar object with the color and then providing your child with frequent experiences with the color, he should eventually begin to learn and be able to say and identify the colors easily.

3
0