AngieABC
AngieABC asks:
Q:

How can I help my 3-year old learn colors?

I have tried every creative thing I can think of to teach my son the color red, blue, green, yellow, orange and purple.  He can sort colors into groups and recognize some colors by sight, but he can never remember the color red and blue.  Please advise.
In Topics: Preparing my child for preschool

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

For some children who have difficulty learning colors, it may be helpful to have them associate the color with a familiar object. So when you are talking about the color blue, say "This is blue like the sky."  Or, if they have difficulty with the color red, talk about things that are "Red like a heart."

Also, you might make each day have a color of the day. You can have your child wear the color of the day, eat foods that are that color, play with toys that are that color, and  cut out and glue pictures that have that color in it. Everything throughout the day should contain something with the color of the day.

By both pairing a familiar object with the color and then providing your child with frequent experiences with the color, he should eventually begin to learn and be able to say and identify the colors easily.

3
0

rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
Hi Angie,

The best way to teach preschoolers their colors is to use their environment as a teaching tool. Check out this article, which has a ton of creative and fun ideas for helping preschoolers to learn about colors and how to identify them. I wouldn't worry too much about your child's difficulty with recognizing certain colors at this stage. However, have you considered asking your pediatrician about the possibility that he may be experiencing slight colorblindness? Just an idea.

2
0
Totaltutor
Totaltutor writes:
I think you should use flashcards. Review three colors a week, and he should know all of his colors in three months.

2
0
BigSis
BigSis writes:
Have you tried playing with toys or items that are associated with the colors red and blue? Like a red firetruck or blue blueberries? Maybe play a game with him with different colored toys and help him place them into their color categories. For example, red firetruck, red hat, red ball all go together. Yellow duck, yellow taxi in the yellow category, etc.

Below are some additional tips that you can try with your child. Hope this helps!

1
0