aliciamarie1987
aliciamarie... asks:
Q:

My 3 year old has major behavior issues, please help!

I have two kids, a 3 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. Just a year ago, their dad and I split after 7 years of physical and mental abuse. He rarely sees them, and my 3 year old is acting out badly. I cannot force her father to see her. She hits me, refuses to listen to anything I say, and destroys things. She tells her little brother to tell me no and say he hates me. She also tells me she hates me. So, now I have 2 out of control kids. I have tried spanking, time-outs, taking toys away, taking tv away. Nothing seems to work. I don't know what to do. I know this has something to do with her father but I can't do anything about that situation.
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Discipline and behavior challenges, Single parent families

|

MomSOS

This is a difficult situation to deal with; however, there is hope.
First it is important to try to understand what is going on.  It sounds like your kids are showing signs of stress, related to having lived in an environment where abuse was taking place.  Even little kids do absorb this.  In addition, yes, it does have something to do with their father--his absence, which is a loss for kids no matter how young, no matter how awful he was/is. Do your best to take what they are doing and saying as signs that they are hurting, and not a sign that they hate you.  Spanking is not the fix. Taking tv and toys away will not work.  Yes, they need discipline, but not necessarily punishment.  They need a stable, consistent environment with reasonable limits that are age appropriate.  

Here are my suggestions:

Most importantly, No matter how much you want to, do NOT tell the kids how awful their father is. No matter how much resentment/anger you have, he is their father, and putting him down will put miracle grow on their poor behavior.  

Then, work on healing the damage that has occurred. Locate your nearest community counseling center or family and children's agency. Google it, or call the closest hospital and ask about community resources.

You need support and strategies. Find a counselor at one of these agencies and work on parenting skills and dealing with loss.  You are probably stressed from years of abuse, dealing with the kids' behavior, and an unavailable other parent.  

You need some support and when you are feeling less stressed, you will be better able to help the kids to learn acceptable behaviors.
A good counselor will help you learn disciplinary tactics that can be effective, and will help you know how to set appropriate limits, and have a better handle on what is going on.

Give it a try.  I think you will be glad you did.
Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
Clinical Social Worker
http://www.singlemomsos.com/index.html
5
0

aliciamarie1987
aliciamarie... writes:
I do not downtalk their father, because I know that they love him. When my daughter acts out I ask her why she is acting this way and she says she's mad because I won't take her to see her daddy. I just tell her that I can't make him see her, and I call him every week. That is all I can do. I have been thinking about a counselor, but can my daughter really take something from that, she's almost 4? Or are you suggesting counseling just for myself? I know that I am very overstressed. I have a wonderful boyfriend, but he is gone most of the time at work, so it is like I am all alone still. I have trouble dealing with things. I feel trapped in this house, and this life. I don't know how to be happy this way, all I know is something has to change. I find myself depressed 5 out of 7 days a week. I will look for a counselor in my area and see if my insurance will approve it. Thanks for your response.

0
0
Anonymous