Eddie800
Eddie800 asks:
Q:

My 3 year old wants to marry me. Common or should I be worried?

I have a three year old daughter names. I am a part time single dad because I have eqaul custody and equaly residence over my daughter. She loves princess stories and has started calling me her prince. She has also stated that she wanted to marry me. She is my world and I do everything I can to show that I love her. Is this a common thing or something to worry about.
In Topics: Blended families, Single parent families

|

lkauffman writes:
Dear Eddie800,

The situation you have described with your daughter is VERY common. Most children, male and female, go through a phase during childhood when they are "enamored" with the opposite-sex parent. Indeed, this is so prevalent that Sigmund Freud and Carl Jung wrote about this phenomenon extensively in the early 1900s. Freud called a little girl's infatuation with her father an "Electra Complex." Don't worry about the details of his writing, what is most important is that many little girls look adoringly upon their fathers and dream about the day that they can "marry" him.

Consider this a compliment. You clearly have developed and maintained a close and loving relationship with your daughter, despite the challenges of single parent-hood. I love your characterization of your daughter as your "world," and I believe that you are off to a great start with her. Whenever speaking with fathers, I recommend that they do everything in their power to let their daughter know that she is "the sun, the moon, and the stars" to them. This kind of love and adoration will set a great foundation for her self-esteem....and eventual relationships with men in adulthood. She will know what kind of love she deserves and what to expect from love.

So, keep up the good work and appreciate this time while you can. When she hits adolescence, she will most likely want greater distance from you (this is normal, too). Enjoy the hugs while you can!

Child Psychologist

3
0