heididonahue
heididonahue asks:
Q:

I have a 3 year-old daughter who's Birhtday is a month after the cut off time to start Kindergarten.

I would like to take a little time during the day to try and teach her things like the alphabet, numbers, colors and maybe some reading and math. She is extremely bright and shows signs that she would like to start learning new things. So I was wondering what should I start with and how much is too much.

|

You can have so much fun with a 3 year old!  Here are a few suggestions of activities you can do with your daughter to help prepare her for school.

Read to her.  This is one of the best, easiest and most enjoyable thing you can do for and with your child.  Start off reading for 10 minutes and build up to 30 or 45 minutes.  There is a great book by Mem Fox called Reading Magic.  It is written for parents about the importance of reading aloud to children and how to go about doing it.

Cook with her.  Preparing meals involves reading and math.  It also helps with developing spacial relationships.  You can share your knowledge about the names of different types of food as well as eating a balanced diet.  Check the Internet for kid-friendly recipes.

Plant a garden (vegetables or flowers).  Get your hands dirty - most kids like to dig in the dirt.  Children are fascinated in watching things grow.

Point out other people and their careers.  Whether it is the mailman, cashier, nurse, teacher, or banker have brief discussions about what each person responsibilities are and how they contribute to the community.

Explore different parks or playgrounds.  Pack a picnic lunch, maybe ask another parent and child to join you.  It can be fun comparing the different places.

Visit the public library.  Story hour, shelves of books, artwork on display, and so much more.  Have your daughter pick out several different books of all kinds of genres (fiction and nonfiction).  Not only will this teach her responsibility in taking care of library's books, she will have exposure to all different types of books.

These are only a few ideas of the top of my head.  I'm looking forward to reading what others suggest.

Have fun!!

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0