TCLynn
TCLynn asks:
Q:

My 3 year old is potty trained but now goes poo and pee in her pants!

My husband and I are at our wits end.  We potty trained our daughter at 2 1/2 years old.  Now, she is 3 and started peeing and pooping her pants again.  She was doing so well; letting us know when she had to use the bathroom, going by herself and even washing her hands without our help.  Now, she has regressed...peeing her pants while saying she has to use the potty.  She will stand there and look at us and poop her pants.  We constantly ask her if she has to go but she gets so mad. We just don't know what to do.  We have tried to "retrain" her by the rewards system but that doesn't seem to be working.  We have tried to "reason" with her but we all know what that's like! Please help.
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Preparing my child for preschool, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

The concern you have about your three year old reverting back to not being potty trained of course is legitimate and something that needs to be addressed.  Before trying any additional suggestions, please contact your pediatrician to voice your concern and ask for help.  

Many times if the peeing or pooping in her underwear occurs during a certain time of day you can then begin to develop a schedule that includes sitting on the potty during that time.  Many potty chairs have racks for books, so it can be a reading time while she sits there.  You may need to sit there with her to monitor that she stays on the potty and to encourage her.  You could possibly read to her.  This needs to be a time and an experience that is pleasurable to her.  Not a time that she fights to avoid or screams when put on the potty!  If and when she is able to use the toilet, make a BIG deal out of it.  Clap, cheer, and maybe even call Daddy on the phone and allow her to tell him what a big girl she is.  Provide her with a reward for using the potty for pooping and peeing rather than her underwear.  If she likes stickers, let her earn one for staying on the potty and trying without crying.  She can earn something even bigger if she actually goes to the bathroom in the toilet or potty seat.  This will not be fixed overnight but things should improve rather quickly. We're sure your pediatrician will have additional ideas for you to try so give them a call.

Be sure to let us know how you are progressing on the issue.  You can reach us at 1-800-448-3000, 24/7.

1-800-448-3000

1
0

Hi TCLynn,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations with potty training your daughter. Have you talked with her pediatrician about the concerns you're having and to rule out any physical or health issues that may have caused the regression?

Education.com offers a variety of articles on this topic that you may also find helpful:

http://www.education.com/topic/potty-training/

http://www.education.com/topic/preschool-readiness/

One article in particular you might read, Toilet Teaching Your Child (http://www.education.com/reference/article/toilet-teaching-child/ ) talks about common problems that can cause a child to regress with their toilet use (and how to get back on track with the potty training).

Good luck -- I hope that, along with the in-person examination and advice of your pediatrician, you are able to get the information and support you need to resolve this issue.

0
0
cetti
cetti writes:
Im in the same situation and yes its very frustrating.I dont know what happened cos she was doing great she even stays dry all night.I hope that this is something that goes away hopefully otherwise i search for a cycology help.

0
0
Anonymous