Chunksmama
Chunksmama asks:
Q:

My 3 year old son is constantly not listening, my patience is thinning and I dont know what to do anymore!

He is an only child. His father and I are divorced when he was like 5 months so he hasn't really grown up with us together. He is very mean! Kicks, hits the dog out of the blue. He does things he KNOWS he's not supposed to, right in front of me like he just doesn't care! I have been a stay at home mom since he was born. He does get to play with kids his age. He will throw things at me, the dog, the wall. I have tried spanking, time out, I have even taken everything out of his room besides his bed and dresser a couple of times and he still acts out. I am so stressed on WHY he acts out so badly. He is very mean, he can be sweet when HE wants to be but it usually ends with him being mean. I am at my wits end on what to do for him...stressed out, worried about getting a job and him going to daycare just to get kicked out. I have been thinking about taking him to see someone, talk to someone. Not a huge fan of making children take meds but if it's my only chance at a normal 3 year old then I might have to put that aside.

|

The first thing to do, would be to talk to your child's regular health care provider.  They might decide to do a blood test to rule out a hormonal imbalance and/or refer you on to see a specialist.

0
0

LP2603
LP2603 writes:
Take a deep breath.  I have 4 sons ranging from 3 - 15.  This is just a phase he is going through.  Have you ever heard of the terrible 2's ?? Well 3's are worse.  He is pushing his boundaries, and spanking him won't help.  With my first one I would put him in his room to play and I would calm down before letting him back out.  He is 15 now, and teenagers can be worse then toddlers. lol  I promise  Stay firm but loving and you will see a big change once he is over 4.  4 is the age of reasoning.  it's hard being a single mother but it can very rewarding.  Also see about getting him involved with something at the library (story time) or VPK program. Give yourself a small break.  No meds are needed.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Three year olds are still learning but it rather sounds like he's doing things to get your attention and/or he sounds very angry. Has he always thrown things? Has he always kicked the dog?
If this is something he's always done, that's one thing. If it's new, that's another. Taking things away will usually not work for a three year old. Of course anything he throws should be taken away and not given back until he acknowledges that he should not have thrown it. If he throws it again, take it away for good.
Taking many things away from a child can make them act out. Especially if he has strong emotions like anger boiling inside him. Anger is not something that can be punished away.
Daycare/preschool might actually be a very good thing for him but it would have to be the right daycare/preschool. And taking him to see someone isn't a bad idea either. Don't necessarily assume that he'd be put on medication. A good place to start is with your family doctor or pediatrician.

0
0