hello78
hello78 asks:
Q:

My 3 and half year old son is not interested in playing balls and not able to pedal a bicycle. I am worried. Any suggestions?

In Topics: Physical development, Sports and athletics, Exercise and fitness

|

At about 2 years of age, children start to be able to kick a ball and try to pedal a bicycle, although only about 50 % of them will be able to reach the pedals  and get the concept of pedaling.  Every child develops at a different rate, and as long as he stays within "the normal range" of development for age, there should be no reason for concern.  Since you are worried, discuss your son's development with his health care provider at the next visit.
2
0

CKnowles
CKnowles writes:
I am a retired Physical Therapist. He may have vision issues or balance problem. Have his doctor tests his balance and possible vision referral to a pediatric eye doctor. This is the age where eye-hand problems become apparent. Below is a good information web site to help us ID problems. Check it out.

0
0
posy
posy writes:
first, my daughter used to be like him she used to sit on the bike or swing waiting for my help .... then by age six she didn't know how to swing herself one day i left her without help she started to cry then she moved on the swing and learned to swing her self alone.

2
0
vdancer
vdancer writes:
He's too young for pedaling.  Try a scooter first - great for balance and confidence building while in movement.  As for balls, have a selection of balls.  There are soft balls and foam balls that are easy to catch without any bumps.  I've found some 5" ladybug patterned balls that roll and bounce and can be easily played with.  You can roll things through a little obstacle course, play "hot potato" with just rolling back and forth together between your four legs -- all very simple and playful games.  When he's ready, he'll do more.  

Here's a link to some articles on my website about movement and learning that might interest you.  Best wishes, and happy playing!

0
0
Anonymous