vid333
vid333 asks:
Q:

3 year old not talking

Hi. I wouldn't say my question is unique but as a mother I am concerned the most about my LO. Sorry if this is long.
He is 3 years and 4 months exactly. Until he was 18 months old he was socializing, saying a few words, hit all the milestones until when he was living with his grandparents. After 18 months we moved to a different country where he started to be quiet. Now that he is almost 3.5 years, he is not talking well for his age, (though he says few words and babble most of the times), like he is not trying to make sentences or trying to learn new things that we teach. His other daily activities include, he often engages in messy play with his toys but wouldn't clean up, walking around all the time, playing in his own world. Also he selectively responses to his name when there are things said that he loves and less socializing like not answering to strangers. Went to my doctor twice about this and he said everything is quite normal.
As a parent how can I encourage him to talk, make him listen to me and understand things, learn what we teach and grasp, socialize, make good eye contact, and make him answer questions to whomever asks? Kindly help as these are giving me sleepless nights.
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Preparing my child for preschool

|

Dear Vid:

Not talking in any language by three is not normal. You knew that as his mother.  Changing countries and languages delays it somewhat but multilingual children ultimately do well.  I would encourage you not to talk for him or anticipate his needs however you describe behavior changes that require a full developmental evaluation.  Get evaluated by your school (private if abroad), find another doctor for an opinion, or come back to the US on vacation and apply for special services evaluation from the school that he would have attended for kindergarten. In the US you are entitled to these services from the age of 3.  go for it. In the meantime, enroll him in a play group or a pre school where his peers may help.

1
0