nanciii
nanciii asks:
Q:

My 3 years old twins dont  talk yet ... just a few words? What shall I do?

In Topics: Cognitive development, Speech and language issues, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

I am assuming that you reside in the United States or Canada. If this is the case- please contact your local school district and ask for a preschool readiness and developmental evaluation by the early intervention team.  You will need to make this request in writing.  Be sure to keep a copy for your records.

Together- you and the team should discover where to proceed.  Good luck!

Also, you may wish to consider introducing sign language in conjunction with speech to bridge the communication gap for now.

Louise Sattler, Psychologist
Owner of SIGNING FAMILIES™

1
0

3 is young, too young to consult with the school.  I would speak with my pediatrician, call and arrange an appointment for your twins and tell your concerns to you pediatrician.

It may also be that your 3 year old twins have their own way of communicating with each other and just haven't needed the use of words, also, read to your children.  Reading exposes them to new words and how to use them.

Read the article that is in the link below.  It is informative and will tell you that it is common for twins not to use words as frequently as others.  Hope this helps!

Best wishes!

1
0
3 is young, too young to consult with the school.  I would speak with my pediatrician, call and arrange an appointment for your twins and tell your concerns to your pediatrician.

Best wishes!

1
0
Anonymous