drknjme
drknjme asks:
Q:

is my 3 yr old's behavior in preschool a problem with him or his teacher?

When my son first started he was doing as expected. He would participate and follow directions but occasionally would not want to do the class activity and just wanted to play. The teacher allowed him to go play and not have to participate. Recently there were more behavioral issues brought to our attention and we noticed he wasn't eating lunch or snack at school and his demeanor when we picked him up is out of the ordinary for him. He is usually a well behaved child except in school and for a couple of hours after picking him up. I observed the class and noticed that my son will sit down to do the activity but once he's done he wants to play. His teacher expects him to sit at the table with nothing to do until all the kids are finished. The same thing at snack and lunch time. When I observed I got him to eat but once he was done he wanted to play and his teacher told him to sit at the table until all the kids are finished. Other kids are allowed to get up once they are done. I plan to address that but I'm wondering if his teacher has unrealistic expectations or should my son be focused and controlled enough at 3 to sit at the table after he's done with nothing else given to him to do. I also told his teacher that he responds better to knowing why he's doing something and not just being told to do it, i.e. if you want to eat your snack you need to sit at the table instead of just telling him to sit. she said she's unable to accommodate that! Is she bad or is my son behind?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Choosing a school, Preschool

|

BrendaKayden
BrendaKayden writes:
I would speak to the school's director about that. It is realistic to expect him to sit during activities, meals and snacks. It is not reasonable for a 3 year old to sit anywhere with out something to do. Does she have such a large class that she is unable to provided adequate supervision and guidance? If so, then perhaps she needs help. If not, then I would agree with your suspicion that she is not a good teacher. The teachers at my son's school engage the children in conversation after they are almost done with their lunch, snack or activity. She tells them what is going to happen for the rest of the day or upcoming events and sometimes praises them for a job well done earlier in the day. There is a way of having down time with children in a way that is not boring or uninteresting to them. I hope this helps!

0
0
Anonymous