lamb
lamb asks:
Q:

my 3 yr old speaks few words; is this a sign of autism

In Topics: Speech and language issues

|

ChildSpeechLanguage

Even though speaking few words may or may not be a sign of autism, we highly recommend having your child evaluated by a pediatrician and a licensed speech-language pathologist.  This is especially true if your child has not received a speech, language, and hearing screening.  

A three year old who speaks few words may (or may not) have a speech/language delay, a hearing disorder, or a variety of other issues.  Or, your child may not have any disorder or developmental delay at all.  Because offering a diagnosis online isn't possible through this forum, we again strongly recommend to have your child seen in person by professionals so that you may have a better idea of why your child speaks few words.

1
0

curious_mom
curious_mom writes:
I highly recommend you to take your child to a professional but not the pediatrician, he or she is not an expert in this particular matter,call the early intervention in your county and start the speech therapy as early as you can.
Good luck

0
0
spudmommy
spudmommy writes:
Actually, taking your child to your pediatrician is an excellent idea  as they can direct you to good therapist and state funded programs to help your child,  like the Infant/Toddler program.  I wouldn't have known this if my pediatrician hadn't given me the number.  I got free help for my son who is now five and starting Kindergarten this year and graduated from speech therapy.  After 3 (depending on where you live) in idaho, the school district takes over and provides help.  Get lots of opinions and ask lots of questions!!!

0
0